Turk's Cap

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

vintagedude

Turk's Cap

Post by vintagedude »

I planted this thing earlier in the summer and I love it, it's been bulletproof. However I've heard conflicting things about its hardiness. I'm in central southern Oklahoma, zone 6, bordering on zone 7. I've heard for my area it's hardy, it's not hardy, it's only hardy if you mulch it, it's evergreen!
Can someone clear up weather or not I have a chance of seeing this gem return next year? Thanks! :wink:
Tim
Cap'n Tim, from gardening hades, Oklahoma
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Tim,
I cant speak from experience on them, but I ran into a couple of ladies a few weeks ago at the Farmer's Market selling them as cut flowers. (I didnt know what they were at the time) and naturally, I HAD to ask about them. And they were the Turk's Cap. So, I would imagine if they were hardy up here in zone 5, that they would be there.
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
vintagedude

Post by vintagedude »

Thank you Deb, it's great to know they survive in zone 5. I just tried one on a whim and love it. It blooms like crazy, seems perpetually happy in a bed that gets like a swamp in spring and like a brick in summer, and the hummingbirds are checking it out. I want to get more of them! :wink:
Tim
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Do you have a picture of it Tim? I'd love to see it! They are definately on my MUST HAVE LIST! :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Tim, Do you know what variety of Turk's Cap you have? :-? It appears that there are several varieties. I have also found links with varying hardiness for the lower zone. :???: Some say 8b, some say 9a and some say 10. :roll:

Here is a link to one of the varieties I found.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1819/
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
vintagedude

Post by vintagedude »

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure which one I have but it doesn't have the pointed leaves like that. It has more roundish, heart-shaped leaves like redbud. Even if it is one of the tender ones, I'm going to mulch it and cover it with a pot this winter and see if it'll pull through.
Tim
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

That sounds like a good idea, Tim. :D Good luck! Let us know how it does.

I found another link for one with a more heart shaped leaf. It says freeze to the ground in zone 8. Maybe it will behave like a butterfly bush for you and just put up new growth every spring.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... ondii.html
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Mercy this Old Coot is stupid !!

Post by oldcoot »

Since has has a Lilium bulb for a brain, he thought you were talking about Turk Cap Liliums. He plans to plant some of those next spring and he lives in Zone 7b, Rock Hill, S.C. He undertsand they do well here, but it does help to mulch them too ! Sorry for the confusion on the Old Coot's part.

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
vintagedude

Post by vintagedude »

That's it, Patrushka! That's what it looks like.
Hey, no problem John! :lol: :wink: I had to get more specific on my web search because the Liliums are what came up mostly.
I'll try to get a picture of it, but it's been pouring down rain a lot (not that I'm complaining).
Tim
New Topic Post Reply