Yard 2005

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Yard 2005

Post by Ed_B »

Some of the sights from 2005
Ed_B

Clematis

Post by Ed_B »

more
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

more
Ed_B

Trilliums

Post by Ed_B »

more
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ed, fantastic pictures!! In the second set of pictures, that first clematis, do you know the name of it? And is the last one, Dr. Rupple? I have that one, and it looks like it....

Thanks for sharing your pretty pictures!! :-)
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Hi Lucy
I am almost possitive that it is 'Nelly Moser', I planted several clematis many years ago, never put a name tag by them. I remember telling myself that I would always know what they were, duh.
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Thanks for sharing those pictures - they are great to see on this gray gloomy rainy day. A reminder that we will see spring eventually :roll: . I know, I know, it has barely begun...

I would like to ask about some of your pictures... in the first group - is that second one a tree peony? I got one this spring and am trying to overwinter it in a large container since it supposedly is not hardy here. I put the pot in the walkout stairway to my basement where it will be very well protected, not quite getting the full effect of the cold- in case we get subzero temps.

In the third group, second image - is that a magnolia I see? That is another I would like to grow but again, zone conflict. I notice in the first picture of that group you were able to show a pretty little visitor to your yard. What kind is it ?

I seem to remember in a past post reading that, like me, you were in WI, or maybe I am thinking of something else...

Seeing your pictures has been a bright spot for today...

Jeanne
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Hi Jeanne

Yes that is a tree peony "Shimanishiki" I have had it for several years, I leave it unprotected outside. It has some dieback, is a slow grower. Some years are way better than others. I have 3 different ones, all show the same traits, the younger the plant the more likely to see the top die back. I have noticed even with full dieback on top, that the root area will send up new growth in spring. I am in zone 4
NE Wisconsin so I may be pushing it a little, but they are so beautiful in bloom.

Magnolia soulangeana
We bought two of these when we first moved here 1992. They have taken everything nature could throw at them, the only drawback is that they may bloom to early, as sometimes a late frost will turn the flowers brown.
They are also very slow growers, but I give them no extra care whatsoever either.

Indigo Bunting, every spring for about 2 weeks we have these little guys come visit. They probably come in the fall also but by then they have changed coloration.

We live about 20 miles south of Green Bay zone 4, In the last 10 years or so I have been adding more zone 5 plants.
Global warming is real, & the only real problem I have had was the snowless winter in 2002/2003 the frost went so deep that I lost some trees and shurbs that were well established, when some of the iffy like the magnolias supposedly more tender came through with flying colors.

I hope this helped
Ed
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Hi Ed. Thanks for your response... I am dead center of the state - about 20 miles N of Wausau. Rated z 4 but very close to z 3.

Someday I may just try a magnolia but would be sure to get one of the late blooming ones. My research so far - possibly the "white star" (maybe not called that, but something like it). Of course the ones I really like are not at all suitable for this zone. What else is new...

Jeanne
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Ed, I needed a pick me up today!! Thanks for sharing I had to sit down really fast on that red one!!
New Topic Post Reply