Magic Lily, & a question

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Magic Lily, & a question

Post by Ed_B »

This plant sat for three years and did almost nothing, then last year it erupted.

Does anyone know if I should dig it up and devide the bulbs?

It looks like a lot of stalks coming up in a very small area.

Did the overcrowding play a part in the number of blooms?

I know almost nothing for the care of Magic Lily's so any help at all would be welcome.

The bulbs were here when we moved in, planted behind some shrubs in mostly all shade. I dug them up because they didn't belong where they were. I gave most of them away, and put the rest in a flower bed in full sun. It took 3 or 4 years for it to look like it did in the picture. Now that I see it in it's full glory I would like to try and keep it that way.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I would leave them be, unless you want to spread them around your garden. These plants are often found in very old, often abandoned, gardens where they have not been touched for decades. They don't mind crowding, but often take their time blooming after they are divided.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I call this lily "Barenaked Ladies"! Others call them "Surprise Lilies".)

Good thing you moved them! They seem to like a sunny location. Yours are beautiful! Mine were planted a few years ago; took 3 years to blossom at all.

Remember, in order for a bulb like this to blossom, it needs to have enough energy to do so! Probably, you noticed those long leaves early summer.....like other bulbs, those leaves are performing photosynthesis and re-energizing that bulb so it can blossom! The leaves die back and suddenly you can see the flower stalks growing up.

Lots of times people don't know why their tulips and other bulb-flowers won't blossom.....usually, they have removed the leaves too early or planted them too deep.

These are a perennial bulb and do not need to be dug up after flowering.

Hope this helps.......p :wink:
New Topic Post Reply