Yellow shasta daisies

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

mrg
USDA Zone: 5B-6A

Yellow shasta daisies

Post by mrg »

These have been available now for a couple years and I was wondering if anyone could provide some personal experience feedback on them. I'm looking at Leucanthemum x superbum Sonnenschine in particular, but info on any would be appreciated. I like shastas and have grown numerous selections, but dislike the weak stemmed floppy varieties. I understand that the color on the yellow varieties fades to a very light cream as they mature. How would the initial bloom color be described? And is the blooming period average, long, too short? I queried a couple other forums and comments were very scarce.
Thanks
DryGulch

"Yellow daisies"

Post by DryGulch »

Well, I actually saw some 1 gal. pot grown yellow daisies recently This was the supposed Proven Winner "Broadway".

They looked nice, appeared to have nice substance, good dark colored leaves, but not extremely floriferous. They did not appear as lanky as some white daisies, Alaska for example. These has to have been grown under glass.

Rumor has it they do not hold their color well. I think the Sonnenschien is very similar. They are said to hold their color longer when they have a bit of shade especially through the mid-day. I don't think they necessarily revert (although they may), it is just that when they first open they are a buttery yellow that fades to white as the flower matures.
mrg
USDA Zone: 5B-6A

Post by mrg »

Thank You DryGulch for your 2¢ worth - I think I'll give them both a try and see what happens. Always needing stuff to add to the compost if I don't like them.
New Topic Post Reply