Pink Daffodils

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

patsue53

Pink Daffodils

Post by patsue53 »

Anybody grow pink daffodils? I just got a catalog in the mail and the pictures are stunning! I really don't believe I've ever seen pink ones. Are they common and I just don't know it?? :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm: Pink? Dunno.....
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Are they all pink or just the 'trumpet' [not sure if that's the right term-??]. I've seen pics I think of some with creamy colored petals & a pink center. I have some that are like that but with a soft peach center. They're really pretty. But I don't think pink ones are common. I've never actually seen any. Just in the bulb magazines.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Oc will let you know in a few Days.

Post by oldcoot »

Last fall he planted some that SAID they were white with Pink centers. Sure hope so. They are up on his deck ad forming pods, shouldn't belong..... OC anxiously
awaiting...Them to Bloom
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

They are never as Pink as in the pics! :-? Most of them are a salmon color or peachy looking! I will post some pics when mine start blooming! :D
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I agree with Minnow. The center on my double one (I don't remember the name) is such a pale pink it almost looks white. My Pink Charm looks more peach than pink. If you would like to try some Pink Charm, Pat, I'd be happy to send you some. :D
Attachments
Pink Charm Daffodils
Pink Charm Daffodils
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I too agree with Minnow... fact, I would not cry if they are all gone... they have been down the hill for years :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Just the trumpet's are pink. some of them are ruffled, there's one that's a double. They're really pretty but there is a disclaimer that states that some of them start out apricot, yellow, or white and then gradually turn pink. So...not sure if I'm willing to spend the $30 for the collection but I'm sure tempted.

They're from Breck's. I won't post the website of another nursery but you can find it easily enough with a google search and then find the pink daffodil collection.
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

Brecks! :eek: Try Brent & Becky Heaths site. Much better prices!

www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com

Of course I am sure they don't have the spring flowinng bulbs on line yet.
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Pat, I would actually recommend John Sheepers instead of Breck's. They have a huge selection. I remember seeing what was touted as an all pink daff named 'Billy Graham' I think. It looked pretty, but I have not had any luck with daffs surviving the narcissus fly scourge. All my 'Thalia' are gone now. Those are my very favorite since they are so fragrant. You don't have to stick your nose in them to smell them.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Thank you for the recommendations! :) Now if I can just remember this discussion next fall. I wonder why they sent me that brochure now??? :roll:
Kas

Post by Kas »

Cause they know everyone is so ready for Spring and flowers that they will purchase now even though it is the wrong time. Some places like the bulb growers around here will have you order them now (you can just go to Mt. Vernon to see them in bloom) and then they ship to you in the Fall. Maybe that is what they are doing.

Kas

P.S. The annual Tulip Festival is something Mandy and Adam might enjoy. It is really beautiful to see, but the traffic is scary!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Garden_of_Mu

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

I was very disappointed in how un-pink they were. Those pics are seriously retouched. I had three different ones that were supposedly baby-girl pink, and all were various shades of peach or salmon. they were really pretty actually, but when I was expecting one thing and got completely different one it was disappointing. If they sold them under the true color I think folks would go nuts for them - why do they need to make them out to be something they aren't?? Decoy is advertised as a 'red', but it is also a shade of orange. Nice deep color though. Here's some pics of mine.
Attachments
daffs-palmares.jpg
daffs-palmares.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
not-pink.jpg
daffs-pink-charm.jpg
daffs-pink-charm.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
DryGulch

Just my two cents on pink daffodils

Post by DryGulch »

As hardy as daffodil bulbs are, with your being in NW IL I woiuld be wary that they are truly hardy there. You are sort of on the edge for some types of daffodils...Erlicher for sure for example and depending on the year, Gold Ducat...
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Aw shucks. :( They look so gorgeous in the pictures...and truly, truly pink. Not orange, salmon, apricot, or anything else but true pink!

Mike..you're right......those are gorgeous daffy's, so why advertise them as anything other than what they are?

Drygulch.....Daffy's don't have any problems here in NW Illinois. They grow quite well.
thy

Post by thy »

Mike yours are beautiful, mine looked dirty somehow - 4 differet sorts, but all the same dirty sad look.
Wish I could send some, here they are not more expencive than other daffs '
thy

Post by thy »

Kas
What is
narcissus fly scourge.
and what do it do ?
Kas

Post by Kas »

It is a nasty little (not so little) fly that lays its eggs at the base of bulbs of the narcissus family. They are cute, fuzzy things that look sort of like a brownish bumble bee. But when the eggs hatch, the larva crawl down into the bulb and eat out the next years flower. All of my 'Thalia' are gone. Just foliage is all I get now. I have been slowly digging them up and cutting them open. The inside of the bulb is mush with these maggot looking larva in them. Yuck! They say sevin dust on the bulbs after flowering will do the trick, but I have a hard time using chemicals. I buy them, and then never use them. I'm a chicken!

Kas
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Pinkest in our yard is one called Pink Pride. :) Is it pink? Course not. But it is pretty. Brent and Becky don't sell this one.

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

WSell, OC finally threw in the towell on his

Post by oldcoot »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Every pot and every bed turned out yellow !! BUMMER...Will try a different Vendor next year.....OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply