Another batch of Daffodils

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

renaldo75

Another batch of Daffodils

Post by renaldo75 »

I can't stop!! :wink:
Attachments
an abstract
an abstract
these little guys are so cute & vibrant
these little guys are so cute & vibrant
So bright against the blue sky
So bright against the blue sky
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

These I believe are called 'Ice Follies'. I've had them for at least 10 years - maybe 12. They were leftovers from pots that the local grocery store didn't sell & were nice enough to give to us after Deb asked about them. I planted a few pots of these daffs, pale pink tulips & some dark purple tulips in this small bed. The next year they all bloomed. The following year there were tons of daffodils & lots of purple tulips & no pink tulips. Then I split up the daffodils & tulips into lots of clumps to fill the area. And for the next few years there were hundreds of blooms of both the daffs & tulips. [I think I have actually divided the daffodils twice now. The 2nd time I moved a few to the other part of this bed that is above this small section.] Then a few years ago the purple tulips all but disappeared - there might be 6 this year. But these grocery store daffs are still multiplying & going strong!! :cool: :P :cool: They need to be divided again.
Attachments
I'll get more pics of these today - we had more rain the evening after I took these pics & today is another gorgeous sunny day - they'll be in full bloom!! :O)
I'll get more pics of these today - we had more rain the evening after I took these pics & today is another gorgeous sunny day - they'll be in full bloom!! :O)
2006 - 4-6--06 041b.jpg
2006 - 4-6--06 039b.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

A very happy bumblebee!! :D
Attachments
2006 - 4-6--06 040b.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Don't stop! They are gorgeous! :cool: I'm enjoying every last pic. :D Only a few of mine are blooming now.

I thought the second and third pics in your last thread looked like Ice Follies. Maybe the ones I have aren't really Ice Follies. :o Mine have a pale yellow corona. Yours are a brighter yellow.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I am probly wrong & just have that name stuck in my head, Pat. [The ones in the other pic are probly the real Ice Follies & these are just my memory playing tricks on me.] It's been so long ago now & I don't believe I ever bothered to write anything down back then. I just gardened back in those days. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

:lol: My daffs don't have labels either. Some I remember the names of and some I don't. Besides that, it seems they keep changing the names of them. I have several doubles that I bought in a collection from Breck's years ago. One year they had one name then a year or two later they had a different name. The pics in the brochures were identical.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't marketing grand!! :wink:

Good thing I took lots of pics when I did. Some of the little guys w/orange throats in the 1st & 2nd pics in this thread are already shrivelling & turning brown... :(
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I went out & took more pics of the white ones w/yellow throats in the 2nd group of pics this afternoon. Almost full bloom - nearly 90% are all open today. I counted blooms & buds once & got nearly done & lost count :x & then counted again. :roll: To the best of my knowledge & ability [which isn't saying much :lol: ] there are approximately 322 blooms in this group that started out years ago from 12 - 18 bulbs. :o :eek: :cool: You can still tell that they are in different clumps - but the clumps are all touching now. I think there are 7 or 8 clumps on the lower, main bed. The upper group is one large over-sized clump - the size of 2 or 3 of the lower clumps.

And I was right - there are all of 6 tulips this year..... :(
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Reldon, My Ice Follies are starting to bloom now. I noticed that most of them have the bright yellow corona like yours. :o I've had them for years and never noticed it before. One has the lighter yellow corona that I am used to seeing. I found this description on a site that sells them.

"Ice Follies is an early-season, white daffodil with a yellow cup that changes to creamy white."

I guess that explains it. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

So this means that my faulty memory was right this time!!?? :hmm:

WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply