Epimedium x warleyense 'Orangekonigin'

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Kas

Epimedium x warleyense 'Orangekonigin'

Post by Kas »

Anybody out there (yoohoo, Andi!) have one of these? I picked up a little one of these today. Sorry no pic. And the one I got was down to one pretty orange bloom. It was between that one and Rubrum, which I might have to go back for. Two weeks ago I got 'Silver Queen'. She has much bigger flowers than 'Orangekonigin', but not as different, if you know what I mean.

Tell us again, Andi, how to best care and place these beauties. :D :D :D

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Kas,

Epimedium are pretty darn easy. We grow them in open shade in an area that never gets supplemental water and they do great. I planted this particular plant a few years ago and when they bloomed last year they turned out to all be Lilafee! However, I love that variety, so couldn't complain too much. But now we have this orange one planted again and they are just starting to leaf out so won't be long before they bloom. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they are right :)
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

From what I understand, the one you got is the same as 'Orange Queen', which I have. Stick them in the ground and they grow. I have most of mine in part shade, with a good bit of morning sun. Most do dry shade very well and seem able to compete with tree roots that many other plants can't handle.

You know where to come to get more, don't you??? (hint, hint)

Here's a photo of my Orange Queen in bloom.

Andi
Attachments
Epimedium Orange Queen 041206.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Andi, that looks like her. I figured you had her, but just couldn't wait! Of course I would have thought you had Silver Queen, but from the sound of your and Mike's posts I think I got it first. For a first!

Have you gotten a Gold Heart dicentra yet? If not, don't. I will get you one at my local nursery. I can't dig out of that front bed for you because of foliar nematodes. :x I am really tempted to do the hot water treatment on a couple of hostas. I am going to divide them and then cook one half and use Bayer 2 in 1 on the other half and see what happens.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Hi Kathy - Nope I don't have Gold Heart yet, but I have soooo many potted plants with nowhere to go that I'm trying to be a good girl and not add much right now. I have a new bed that I've made by covering the sod with newspaper and topped with a couple of inches of soil. Later this year when the lawn underneath has died (yay!) I'll be able to plant up a lot more.

By the way... did I email you about the plant trade at my place on May 13th? I can't remember... if not, give me a yell and I'll fill you in.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
New Topic Post Reply