Call me weird, I can take it! :D

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Call me weird, I can take it! :D

Post by wishiwere »

But I just love when Garlic keeps it's little hat on after blooming! They always make me smile when I pass them by :D
Attachments
DSCF5023-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF5023-copy_edited.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't grow garlic so I've never seen that. I would be smiling too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
John

Post by John »

Great photo, artistic way of really looking at garlic!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:wink: Neat pic. Mine aren't quite that far along yet. The covering is just starting to open to reveal the blooms on the earliest ones.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I planted some seeds but none came up. That would make me smile too! :lol:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hey, Jane..... I like that pic! Garlic wearing a party hat. I've never grown garlic, so that is a new one on me!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Yep... you're wierd.

:lol:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

That is cool looking...never grown garlic either....But I prolly should for the stupid moles.....Isn't it good for that?

Thanks Jane!!
janey

Post by janey »

Love this photo!!

Somewhere in a post far, far away, I asked if anyone grew garlic...I never have, but someone I met through hospice saod that her very Italian father grows wonderful garlic---so much better than what the stores offer. I'm intrigued, and would love to try some...

Have any suggestions as to where to get the best garlic to grow? Have done some checking on the I-net and if I read correctly, one of the most flavorful has a thin purple streaked skin....Sound at all familiar?
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I have garlic in a back-yard garden. O.K.....I admit it....I don't really USE it very often, I just keep it out there because I love how those tops curl 'round in gentle circles until those little bulblits form at the tips! Here's a pic;

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 7701uMsKtX

Those tops become quite large just before >popping< open and spilling! They germinate too easily just laying on the ground!

:D They're almost ready now.....I'm happy to share if anyone wants any!! Let me know......Pam :wink:
janey

Post by janey »

Pam~
Could you eat it?? Or is this a type that is strickly ornamental? How large do the bulbs get? Now that I see the photo, I think there is a little of this type growing out at the cottage---not much though, I always pulled it up thinking it was a weed!!
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Your "garlic hat" [idea] is funny. Mine don't do that though. I grow one of the Rocambole types (hardneck); they have *fantastic* flavor and store so much better than softneck.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
janey

Post by janey »

Party Music~
Where do you get your starts from? Is this the variety that has the purple veined skin???

I am very interested in growing garlic....however, my interest is only superceded by my ignorance! :P

Help????
I've told my kids I'm going to do this, and they all cook, so I need to come through on my boasting!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Yes....I do sometimes cook with this garlic. I've used the curly stems cut up in different soups....and even those little bulbils formed at the end are quite tasty......small, but tasty!

I just weeded some of this part of the herb garden and pulled a few out by mistake. Each root was about 1"....there were about 5 or 6 little cloves. There are several out there that are several years old...the flower cluster was quite a bit larger...those bulbs are about 3" or 4".

Mine easily gets started by itself simply by throwing the dried flower (bulbils) tops where I want 'em!

Please just email me and I'm happy to share!........p :wink:
janey

Post by janey »

Thanks, Pam! I just PM'd you.
j~
New Topic Post Reply