A strange request... you are allowed to laugh

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

A strange request... you are allowed to laugh

Post by Spider »

OK, I need dandilion seeds, or even a whole plant. I haven't seen a dandilion in a year (or clover for that matter).

The reason... I have finches, they need fresh greens and their favorite greens are dandilion leaves. I don't eat veggies so they don't get bought on a regular basis.

Could someone be so kind as to send me an envelope of dandilion seeds so I can grow them in a pot? The appreciation would be endless. :) (my parents have not taken me seriously and have not sent me any seeds - even in my b-day card! :cry: ) I'll PM my address if you'll take me seriously :D
DryGulch

OMG!

Post by DryGulch »

You don't seriously want to introduce an invasive plant to an area it is not!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh my! I think mine are all past blooming or past the weed killer stage, I'll look around today and see if I can find one. Sorry :(

I'm sure I could find a plant or several to send you if you to pm your addy? :lol: Strangest request I've ever had, but hey. I'm game if you are serious! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Spider

Post by Spider »

It will be a house plant. :) If it wasn't for my birds I would never want a dandilion, believe me.
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I have so many dandilions that without them I would have no "green" in my yard. For the most part they have finished sending out seeds but there are still a few. If you're really sane and would like some seeds, I'm sure I can provide them (unfortunately). We also have a lot of clover... what I can't give you is grass seed :P
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Cook's Garden Seeds sells dandelion seeds for human consumption (a yummy spring green). It's a full-sun plant, though, so you might need to grow it outdoors (in FL, shouldn't be a problem). Just cut the blooms off to keep it from seeding.

I'm guessing you're feeding caged finches? Our outdoor finches find plenty of greens (although they mostly eat seeds).
Spider

Post by Spider »

Yes they are caged finches :) I am sane (ish, lol). Wishiwere is sending me some seeds - yay!Thank you!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Spider, let me know I can harvest from all my neighbors. It's really surprising they have so many and I have none??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Spider

Post by Spider »

Maybe you have Tampa soil. :)
janey

Post by janey »

Heck, if you had posted this last month, I could have harvested a never-ending supply----all from my neighbors!! :lol:

My grandmother used to tell me about going out in the spring and picking dandelion greens when the plants were young and tender....Guess that was before the days of pesticides and herbicides.

Tigger's idea of sending for seeds is a good one....then you know you're getting something free of anything harmful that might affect your finches....
janey

Post by janey »

Spider!!
Went out to switch the sprinkler and found some renegades just getting ready to blow!

Want 'em????

They are currrently safely enclosed in a baggie on the kitchen counter. If you have enough, they can easily be deposited in the circular file where they would have gone anyway....

:wink:
shadylady

Post by shadylady »

Maybe you should just rent out the finches to those of us with too many dandelions :lol:
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Spider, are you really making danedlion wine, or tea :wink: Just using those finches as an excuse? :lol: :lol:

Ginger
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

LOL! I just saw this post and am laughing out loud. We have a Uromastyx geyri lizard who is a complete vegetarian, and his favorite greens are endive, bok choy, and DANDELIONS! I've planted dandelion seeds in my garden so that I can harvest fresh greens, and he loves the flowers too. I'm in my garden every day so that way I can make sure they don't go to seed, not that we don't have dozens of them anyway. And we have two neighbors who have thousands of them blowing in the wind every year.

Good luck with growing them, mine were just planted and I'm even going to try to grow some indoors under lights during the winter so I can have some to feed Gizmo year-round.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Spider

Post by Spider »

Definately keep the dandilion thing in mind if you ever move to FL. I never though they didn't grow in some areas!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
New Topic Post Reply