Don't think it's Heliopsis or Helianthus..but what?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

hubble

Don't think it's Heliopsis or Helianthus..but what?

Post by hubble »

My neighbor gave me a start of this plant 20 years ago. She brought her original start from Oklahoma when she moved to Kansas in the '40s.

It grows tall...some years it will hit the gutters on my garage. Because of this year's Easter freeze, it is only about 6 feet tall. The flowers are at the top of the stems. It may grow taller in my garden than normal as it only gets sun from about 11 to 4 pm.

Any help you can provide in solving this mystery is most appreciated. My thanks in advance.

P.S. Please excuse the vine weed. It gets away from you fast. :oops:
Attachments
Sv101286.jpg
Sv101281.jpg
Sv101280.jpg
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

It looks like RUDBECKIA LACINIATA `Golden Glow' :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
hubble

Post by hubble »

That is it Nathalie! It's funny....I looked it up and it is also called it "Outhouse Plant". They didn't explain why.

I knew there were outhouse hollyhocks, so the Victorian ladies could delicately ask where the hollyhocks were when they needed to go to the bathroom.

I wonder if it is similar?

It is nice to know the name after all these years. Thanks!

Karen
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

The leaves look like what we have here that we call "horseweed." I've never seen it bloom though...I usually use the weedeater on it. 8-) I'll watch some of it this year, though...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

I have some and like it. I'm not sure of the official name....I call it perennial sunflower.

Stephanie
hubble

Post by hubble »

Charla, now that you mention it....I do recall a weed down on the farm that has a similar leaf. We didn't call it horseweed...but something else.... :-?

Trust me, they are not the same plant. As I recall, the weed spreads by seeds and is an annual.

This flower spreads by rhisomes, is a perennial and stays well behaved in its own little corner of the garden.

I would recommend you keep weedeating your horseweed. I could give you a start of this one if you are interested (and you make it up this way sometime). :D

Karen
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Maybe it was called an Outhouse Plant because it grew to be tall enough to disguise the "little house out back", and make it more unobtrusive! Of course, the smell would give it away even if it were covered with flowers! Phyllis
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I may take you up on that, Karen, thanks! The flowers are beautiful! Is it pretty sturdy...the stems, I mean? BTW, I do plan on getting up there sometime, soon.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply