Perennial Hibiscus seeds

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

adlesma

Perennial Hibiscus seeds

Post by adlesma »

My hibiscus are blooming really great this year:

I usually dead-head them, but I just found that I missed some, and when I opened up one of the pods, it was full of seeds. I have a pretty large one ripening on the bush; is anyone be interested in seeds from these? I can let some of each color go to seed. The pod that I have right now is one of the pink ones:

Does anyone know how long I should let them stay on the plant?

Thanks,
Nancy
John

Post by John »

The seed pods will turn brown and start to crack open-- the seeds will be ripe (brown) and can be collected then. These are easy from seed, and if started early will often bloom first year.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Ohhh I do I do!! I pot Tropical's every year, but I would love to have a hardy! I look at the ones in the garden stores, but so far I have not been impressed. What ever colors you can spare! Let me know when you are ready to send them, and I will send you a address and a stamp!
Thanks

Ginger
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Thanks, John, for the info.
Ginger, I will see if I can get all of the colors I have to seed for you. I'll let you know when they're ready to send!
FYI, these come up quite late in the spring, and then grow like crazy.
Nancy
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Nancy? Do you fertilize yours? Mine seem sparse this year. They are only 2nd year plants, fire something and the Kopper King? Am I doing something wrong? THey are in full sun about 6-8 hours a day. Sandy-loam. Anything I should feed them especially?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

How do you get them to bloom so early? I have two different ones a pink and a white with dark pink center. They are huge bushes now and very full but don't even have buds yet and won't bloom until late August. Could these just be a different variety? Wish they'd bloom sooner.
John

Post by John »

Mine are tall and have buds forming, but no flowers will be open for days or weeks yet. I imagine in VT the season will begin even later.

These plants wake up very late in the spring-- they are not dead, just sleeping.
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Well, if you read my "so, I want to be a gardener" post, this won't surprise you - I don't do anything. They are in a corner of the yard that is hot and dry. It gets sun much of the day, and usually I don't water them much unless they look a little wilty. That's not often. This year, I planted tomatoes in front of them, so I've thrown a little more water their way. I have never fertilized them, and most of my soil is clay. Jane, maybe yours is too sandy and not holding the water? I read somewhere that they do like moisture. I'll have to try that :) . Oh, and these have been here quite awhile, and gotten bigger every year, so don't give up on them - it may be that they're still just young. VT, maybe it's just not hot enough up there as soon as it is here in sunny Omaha? We've got to have something that does well here in this heat, humidity, and drought. :) They seem to like the heat.
And they bloom until late in the fall. I took this last year on October 15:

I want to get a Kopper King and an Old Yella, but I need to make a bigger bed for them. I think those hybrids don't get quite as big, though. My red one is Lord Baltimore, and the pink with red throat is Lady Baltimore. I can't remember what the plum one is. I thought maybe Plum Crazy, but I think that might have darker leaves, so if anyone knows what that is, let me know.
Sorry to go on and on, but they are one of my few garden successes. :D
Thanks,
Nancy
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

This one is just gorgeous!

I think they do very well here in FL. Can you count me in on the seed? What type of envelope do you need for them? I can send a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope). What a generous offer (they are all pretty :) )
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Sure, Spider, I will put you down for some seed. I've never let any go to seed before, so I'm not sure how long it will take. I'll let you know when they're ready!
Nancy
New Topic Post Reply