Gentian

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gruntfuttock

Gentian

Post by Gruntfuttock »

What a little autumn flowering beauty this gentian is, I took this today. The stripes up the sides of the buds add an extra interest.

Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Awesome!!!! I'm going to have to get one of those! What delightful little flowers!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Do you know what species it is?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Very pretty little flowers :)

I currently have 2 types of Gentian, while attempts to grow a 3rd type have failed miserably...

One is a ground hugging type that might be the same as yours. It is Gentiana sept. var. 'Lagodechiana'. I've tried it in 3 spots and it has grown in each: Full sun, dry and well-drained; full sun, rich, well-draining; full shade, rich, moist. The best growth and blossoms were in the dry well-draining site, but I think it is still a little too hot since the foliage was better in the other spots.

The other type that is growing like crazy in the bog is fringed Gentian, Gentiana crinita. This is an alkaline bog (a fen) and these grow wild by the thousands. Very pretty in the fall :)

I don't remember the 3rd species that I've tried, but I gave up finally since I could never find the right spot for them.
DryGulch

Gentian

Post by DryGulch »

I grow the Blue Bottle native gentian, which never fully opens. It was pretty spectacular this year and the foliage turned a nice orangey-maroon at the first frost, but it has taken 3 years to mature. It is definitely a plant for collectors only. I grow it in fairly sandy soil. I've got plenty of seed for anyone who wants it.

I think I much prefer the one posted first here!
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

It's gentian sinensis I believe. I grow it in a half barrel in a typical alpine mix with a lot of grit. Hence drainage is very good.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
New Topic Post Reply