Star of Bethlehem

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

Star of Bethlehem

Post by Herb »

About a year ago these first showed up in our garden. I'd no idea what they were, & several people on this forum identified them for me.

They mentioned too that Star of Bethlehem spreads & shows up in all sorts of places. This year I've noticed how very true that is. I even found two clumps of them growing among - & successfully competing with - a bed of well established Daylilies.

I dug one clump out & was surprised to find it contained around 30 little bulbs.

Here are some more that I have in a pot. The picture's a close-up, so after you click on it, it shows them a good deal bigger than they really are.
Attachments
Star of Bethlehem.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Nice pic, Herb. :D I have them growing in several spots too. I've found that they're pretty easy to get rid of if you don't want them everywhere. And they definitely will go everywhere if you let them.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
John

Post by John »

Mine grow among the ornamental grasses, and I love them. They are very easy to pull up if they get out of hand.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

There are a variety of plants that go by the common name of Star of Bethlehem. Around here it is for a woodland perennial named tritelia. You have an ornithigalum, which is bulbous, as you found out.
New Topic Post Reply