Leopard's Bane

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Leopard's Bane

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I made a mistake and bought two of these thinking that they'd bloom most of the summer. I only have full sun in my yard except for the north side of the house and some very small areas in the back yard. Where would you plant Leopard's Bane?
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Pam F

Post by Pam F »

From what I've read they should be planted in partial shade in fertile, moist well drained soil. I also understand that they will go dormant during the heat of the summer. Not the best news if your whole yard is full sun? Maybe some one else will have better news for you.

I hope this helps...
Pam F.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I got some from a friend a few years back... When it blooms it's FABULOUS -- but it only lasts a few weeks. The blooms are just fading on mine now. The foliage will stay very nice all summer here though. It looks a bit like a hosta when not in bloom, with light green leaves that are slightly elonged-heartshaped with serrated edges.

I originally planted mine in a partly sunny spot in sandy soil. It hated it there. I moved it to a location with a bit better soil, near the base of a yew. It now gets a full blast of morning sun (til around noon) and it LOVES it there. For this plant, I'd bet that the soil and moisture is more important than the sunlight.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply