Fernleaf peony

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hosta12_Ia

Fernleaf peony

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I have always wanted a fernleaf peony, but they are so expensive at the nurseries. So I put an ad in a free paper to trade a part of a fernleaf peony for hosta or something else. A lady calls and says she THINKS the peony she has is a fernleaf, come and look if I want to. So I do and it was! So she had a piece already dug up, and I ask her what she wants to trade. NOTHING; she is just glad to be able to share with someone who would appreciate it, as her sister had shared with her. I am going to come up with something to take to her.
Now, any special care in transplanting this? Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to make sure this grows!!
Jo, a happy camper
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww, how nice is that?? Yep, take her something sweet back! 8-)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What a wonderful gesture! I don't have any planting suggestions, but would love to see a pic once you do have it planted. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

For now, with all of the rotten weather, I potted it up so I can keep a better eye on it. Since I am on a hill in the country, the wind can be pretty harsh on some plants, too. Especially new ones. Thanks!
Jo
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Isn't that a special find, awesome lady! Isn't it so much fun sharing and paying forward?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
whitewater176

Post by whitewater176 »

I know this sounds funny as wet as we have been but keep it well watered I have never had any luck movingthem any time but the fall, although my sister did get hers this spring when her soon to be ex was not home and it is doing well. congrats on your find they are soo pretty .
Deb
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Thanks. I was afraid maybe I should have waited until fall. Does anyone think I should cut the foliage down, or leave it as is? I sure don't want to lose it. (Although, she said try it, and if it didn't get started to give her a call....what a sweetheart!)
Jo
Ponditis

Post by Ponditis »

I have two different fern leaf peonies and have only divided them in August and fall but if I did get one now I would keep the leaves on till they die so the roots can gain strength from them and I would be sure to put compost or some manure in the planting hole to amend the soil. I love them because they bloom so much earlier than the other peonies and are lovely leaves through the rest of the season.

Good luck and you did find a very nice lady. Send chocolate!!!

Lani :D
The best is yet to be.
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Thanks Lani. So far it is potted up and I have left it as is. Just keeping an eye on it. Sure hope I can keep it going!! I like to make personalized notepads, so I may do that and send some Dairy Queen certificates! :D
Jo
New Topic Post Reply