Invasive Tradescantia 'Blushing Bride?'

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Eda
USDA Zone: 7

Invasive Tradescantia 'Blushing Bride?'

Post by Eda »

Are Tradescantia 'Blushing Bride' too invasive to plant along with bulbs? Will it smother them?
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Invasive Tradescantia 'Blushing Bride?'

Post by Lessadragon »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I my opinion (for what that's worth) any Tradescantia that you want to plant will self sow ad noseum. I am forever pulling out plantlets by the thousands. I put up with them because I like them, but I am running out of patience and room. Bulbs will probably be able to force themselves out through them and will hide their foliage within the Trade foliage fairly well. It will make the little seedlings harder to pick out though until the bulb foliage dies off. As an aside, the Trade seedlings don't come up true to the parents. Sometimes you even get some neat flowers. Too bad you get so many plain ones with them. :roll:
Here's to spring coming soon... I need to get my hands dirty!

Lynn
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Lessa's right. You gotta learn to love 'em. Any variety I've had spreads ferociously! For this reason I usually plant them in problem areas where other stuff might have trouble growing. When they get out of control I dig them, pull them, curse them, and they win anyway!! :lol:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

:lol: I have the opposite problem.. They don't like me. :lol: I've given up trying to grow them! :lol:
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Aud1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Aud1 »

My blushing bride has been a very slow grower. I thought it was because of the varigation that it was a slow grower. But I have the cruse of gardening in a very cold climate. Others in a longer more warmer climate may have different results.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I only get the occasional seedling from my spiderworts and would not mind more.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply