Jacob's Ladder question

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

renaldo75

Jacob's Ladder question

Post by renaldo75 »

I had a friend ask me if Jacob's Ladder could become invasive. I said I'd ask on here since I can never get them to overwinter here when I've tried them.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully someone will have some experience with the plant.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Jacob's Ladder question

Post by Chris_W »

I haven't had a problem with them, though Polemonium 'Stairway to Heaven' does self-sow a little bit. The seedlings aren't variegated but they are vigorous, big, and healthy. I suspect they will self-sow a little bit too.

Do you think they are confusing Jacob's ladder with crown vetch? The leaves might be mistaken for Jacob's ladder, and crown vetch is extremely invasive.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I would love it if I could get one to last more than a year or two. The one I planted last year is not showing any signs of having made it through the winter.
I had one a few years ago that actually survived a few years, but I never saw one seedling from it.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Polemonium Stairway to Heaven has been my best performer. I have plants in the garden after 3 winters, still going strong, and plants in the field that have come back after 2 winters. The individual clumps are huge. Purple Rain has been okay, but it seems that after some winters I lose several, then they start to come back, then I lose some more... I'm also trying Touch of Class which is a sport of Stairway to Heaven with a white edge all year long. After struggling to grow all last year they have come back weakly after the 1st winter and I doubt I will try that one again. I sort of suspected it would be weaker, having more variegation than its parent, and so far I've seem to have been right about that one...

So if you can find Stairway to Heaven I really recommend it :)
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

'Bressingham Purple' has seeded a little but nothing invasive - happy to have 'em.

'Brise d'Anjou' I wish, it looked good for 2 years, then dwindled to nothing.

Have a native Jacob's Ladder that has grown well - but no spreading as of yet.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Stirway to heaven has also been a winner here. It is an a raised bed w/ good drainage. The pruple one does seem to come and go. No signs of invasive. I did read that it was invasive somewhere, I think as Chris said there is confusion w/ crown vetch.

p.s. I am growing the fancy "French" one beautifully. Keeping my fingers crossed; don,t want to jinx it.
Be part of the solution
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Polemoniums do not tolerate going dry. Consistent moisture (but no winter wet) is the trick to having them come back. The native Polemonium reptans, of which 'Stairway to Heaven' is a sport, returns most reliably. Yes, they self-sow (all species), but the seedlings are easy enough to remove when not wanted.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. Much appreciated. I'm passing along the page link to my friend.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I had 'Stairway to Heaven' for a year but gave it to my daughter because I couldn't keep up with weeding that bed. I had several shade loving plants there, but the weeds still popped up. I also had ‘Blue Pearl’ for several years. It was not invasive.

"P. reptans is a short 12 inch tall species that, if left unchecked, can become quite weedy in the garden...

"While not as badly damaged by cats as catnip, this plant is also a favorite of felines and will, if bruised or cut to release a fragrance, shortly be visited by cats for a good roll. It is good for the cat but not so good for the plant."
http://www.gardening-tips-perennials.co ... adder.html
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
New Topic Post Reply