Droopy Phlox

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

hoosierkitnkat

Droopy Phlox

Post by hoosierkitnkat »

I am having difficulty with my phlox, and I am needing some guidance. I purchased 3 different kinds last year from Hallson's, they bloomed wonderfully. This year, I have beautiful folliage, but the buds were in the process of development, when they became droopy and flopped over.
Could someone please advise what I am doing wrong???
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Droopy Phlox

Post by kHT »

We have only had one pot of this for the past year and when I see it growing I just gave
our a weak dose of fertilizer twice. Did you fertlize it? Is this in a pot or planted in the ground?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
hoosierkitnkat

Post by hoosierkitnkat »

It is growing in the ground, and yes, we gave it Miracle Grow just about a week ago. We did this with the garden hose method of application.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I was going to suggest a few reasons for this:

1) not enough water
2) some kind of damage to the roots so that it can't take up any water (too much water, animal burrow or damage, fertilizer damage)
3) a stem borer

After you mention using the miracle grow hose end sprayer I would lean towards #2. Miracle Grow will burn roots and can do more damage to perennials than it can help. Make sure you never use that thing to water the plants. A light foliar feeding is all you want to do with it - just lightly wet the leaves and move on.

In time they should grow new roots and recover. Water lightly and make sure the soil dries out before you water again to encourage some good root growth.

Good luck!

Chris
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

I have found that foliar feeding works better after the plants are well watered, like after a rain. I also avoid foliar feeding during the hottest part of the day and use a half strength dilution of the product. I usually spray every ten days to two weeks. Just a thought.
Glo
New Topic Post Reply