Peony Colour Varience (Bowl of Beauty)?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Tabby
USDA Zone: 4a

Peony Colour Varience (Bowl of Beauty)?

Post by Tabby »

A question for the peony lovers: You might think I have the wrong name on this peony. It's what the tag says. I know that the interior petals should be a creamy yellow colour, but instead this flower's interior petals are really just a couple of shades lighter pink. (There is actually a creamy tinge to the 'outer parts of the inner petals' that doesn't show in the picture well which suggests to me that it might not be just a case of mistaken labelling.)

I'm wondering if any peony experts out there might have a suggestion of what's going on. Was the peony miskanly tagged or could there be some other reason for the colour varience? Soil? Conditions?

I'm not complaining....it's a beautiful peony anyway, just curious.

Diane
Attachments
Bowl of Beauty.jpg
Bowl of Beauty.jpg (99.37 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done."
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Peony Colour Varience (Bowl of Beauty)?

Post by caliloo »

I would say it was mis-marked, it definitely isn't Bowl fo Beauty. Here is a photo of mine for comparison (It is the pink with the creamy spikey center sort of in the middle of the bouquet).

I often use this site to try to ID peonies, they have good photos that are categorized by color - maybe you can find yours here.

http://www.buckcanyon.com/pink_peonies_1_of_2.htm

Good Luck!
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Tabby
USDA Zone: 4a

Re: Peony Colour Varience (Bowl of Beauty)?

Post by Tabby »

Thanks for the reply, Caliboo. I was beginning to be afraid of that. I will definitely check out that website and I'll post what I find out.

It's a beautiful peony anyway....the centre is definitely a few shades lighter, and from far away that stands out, so it's an interesting looking flower. It also has a lovely fragarance and I'm definitely enjoying it.

I'll keep a place in my garden for a Bowl of Beauty that isn't an 'imposter'. ;)

Diane
"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done."
New Topic Post Reply