Phlox 'Laura'

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Phlox 'Laura'

Post by nanny_56 »

It was just so pretty and it smelled soooo good I just had to buy one the other day! I have never grown phlox before either. Any tips for this plant??
Attachments
Phlox Laura (Small).jpg
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Phlox 'Laura'

Post by caliloo »

Pretty!

I have several phlox. Unfortunately, the deer got to them so I have no idea if I may see blooms this year or not. Anyway, many of them seem prone to powdery mildew, so I would try to plat them in an area where they can get good air circulation.

Good luck - it is very nice!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Actually, phlox are pretty easy (in my experience).
Mine are in a sunny location. I generally water the bed if there is less than an inch of rain in a week. Later in the summer, mine get powdery mildew, I think because of high humidity. I hit them with a fungicide and that helps. I do dead head them at least weekly and that helps keep them blooming. They bloom right up until a first hard frost.
Congrats on your purchase. There are still a lot of varieties to add to your collection. I love the variety of colors in phlox and some of them even have variegated leaves. They can become an addiction, too. :D
Glo
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I have a small start of another one that a friend sent me. She just called it "Old Fashion Garden Phlox" and it is suppoed to be purple. I hope the do well. I put them where there is good air circulation because I thought they were prone to powdery mildew.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
John

Post by John »

I grow 'Laura' and love it. The old-fashioned magenta one is also pretty, and nice in combination with the blues of Campanula species. Some are prone to powdery mildew, yes. There are some Phlox species and their hybrids that are more resistant though, like Phlox carolina 'Miss Lingard,' which is white, there is also a purple P. c., forget its name. You are right, the (grape?) scent is amazing.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Since all but 2 of my echinaceas died I am trying to find new plants to attract butterflies. Having to branch out into new things and it is kind of fun! I bought a sedum Autumn Fire too!
Claudia
John

Post by John »

If your echinaceas were the expensive new sunset colors, I've heard they are not so hardy. I'd go with the usual ones. Asclepias is good for butterflies, and Buddleia.

I meant to clarify above, that the Phlox species carolina is mildew-resistant.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Yes they were the Big Sky series ....I started a purple one form seed so should have flowers next year. My Buddleia died too from too much rain. And tries a couple of different asclepias from seed plus milkweed and none of those did any good. Our very rainy spring has not been helpful to my cause!! And what the rain didn't kill the critters did. I will try again next year. May even get some more phlox!! :wink:
Claudia
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have Laura!!And love it....I got it for the name as it is a good friends of mines name......I now have a good clump of it!! Enjoy!! :cool: :cool:
New Topic Post Reply