Prickly Pears Blooming

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Prickly Pears Blooming

Post by Aud »

This one is new. I received it in a trade a year ago.

This is my old standby.

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Prickly Pears Blooming

Post by Chris_W »

Those are beautiful! I used to grow these here in Michigan but after a couple years I actually got tired of being poked by them so often and got rid of them. Now I kind of wish I had kept some. They were very hardy and would overwinter here fine, but I had them in a bad spot where too often I would end up brushing against them, plus they were tough to weed around. But then again, that was before my Mom told me you could use duct tape to remove the needles if you got stuck by one :)

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I moved some out of the woods several years ago, then ended up digging them up after one of the grandkids fell in them :eek: :eek: :eek: I still dig new ones up every year, but they are beautiful when they flower!
Wish I had known about the duct tape!
Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

I have had friends that wanted them and I set their garden up so they do not have to weed around them. I know a couple that keep theirs in concrete pots on the patio with good results of no need to weed option. You really have to be careful and plan before you plant these monsters.

I do the unthinkable of putting down plastic in the area and I mix 3 parts aquarium gravel and 1 part soil planting soil on top of the plastic. Then I get large decorative rocks and put around them. I have them in all day sun. Sun up to Sundown. I have seen weeds and before the end of the week they are brown. It is too hot and dry for weeds to survive. :lol: I always put them in a area that is out of the way.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Chris, thanks for the duct tape idea! I hate those dang prickles. They can be so tiny you don't see them, but you sure can feel them! I have gotten them from other small cactus we have in pots in the house. I wonder if it would work on those little pieces of bark that stick in your skin? That is why we don't do bark at our house anymore.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply