Peony Question

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Peony Question

Post by kHT »

We got a giant clump of peony from a friend and divided it to go around the base of the big tree some 20 years ago. The first year they grew we noted some
strange looking leaves at the base of one. About 10 years ago we noted that a second one was doing the same. I have just let them grow and have no clue
to what this is. No round up is used in this area so I'm wondering if someone might have a suggestion on what we are seeing?? I will add these plants are 8 foot from each other.

I will also add I have read this link:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... G1153.html
Attachments
from plant #1
from plant #1
20110607_40bb.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
from plant #2
from plant #2
20110607_96bb.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
kHT

Re: Peony Question

Post by kHT »

I have heard from a grower that this my be a mutation or nutritional problem but they were unsure and sending
our photos off to a couple others folks.

I just heard from another grower and they requested more photos so I set up an album for this, if anyone wants to see
addition photos they are at:

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/ ... Mysteries/

I also noted a new growth to the north of the first plant and I'll add that photo shortly.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

This past weekend I painfully got on my hands and knees and dug down and removed all these that were growing. I found more on
plants clear across the bed on the other side. Each had their own tubers, a couple in the center of the huge clumps and the two in
the above photos were a foot away from the mother plant. All were potted up and put in the greenhouse away from the ones in the
ground. Still a mystery but at least this way they are out of the garden and can be monitored. Thank you Mother Nature for keeping me
on my toes!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

When I look at those, all I can think is virus, virus virus! It is hard to say which one without a battery of tests, but it looks scary to me. That is a nice golden chaintree, by the way.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks Buckeye, I also thought that and sent the photos off to several Peony growers. No one could come up with an answer, so I dug these up and put them in our holding area in the
greenhouse. They have returned each year so I was concerned when a couple more showed up. The area where the new ones were was walked all over due to moving the retaining wall so DH was wondering if I harmed them when I dug up the area. I have been reading about peonies and so far haven't found what this is. I would hate to loose these plants due to the history of coming from a homestead from TX and DH really loves them! I also have problems with some local stray cats doing their business in this area.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply