Perenials for area that floods in spring

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Perenials for area that floods in spring

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I am looking for some perenials that can put up with being flooded in the spring. This area is also in full sun. I have put in a few purple cone flowers. Will see how they do. So far so good considering they flooded 9 times so far. They were'nt happy at first but now have bloom on them. I know sedums like dry but put them in anyway. The soil has so much sand that was deposited on them I'm at a loss at what can make it there other than those stupid weeds. Oh and I have deligated this spot to hosta that have pissed me off. LOL So far a swoosh that turned green on me is down there. Will see if it all survives till next spring. Any suggestions please?????
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Re: Perenials for area that floods in spring

Post by Aud »

I have a spot that stays wet and what I have is...

Crocosmia Lucifer plants
Japanese iris
I have some no name daylilies, that seem to do really well that someone gave me as a NOID.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

You also might try Chelone obliqua speciosa they do really well in an area that is VERY wet in the spring at my house.
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello,

Caliloo made a great suggestion.

Ligularia, Joe Pye Weed, Serbian Iris, Sweet Flag Iris, Various Ornamental Grasses, Spiderwort, Lady's Mantle, Hibiscus, Dogwood, Viburnums, Serviceberry, Arborvitae, Hemlock.
Be part of the solution
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Thankyou for all the suggestions. I have Iris, Spiderwort, Rose of Sharon and ornamental grasses available to put over their now. Think I will try a few Daylily's in there too. This area doesnt stay wet all the time. It just gets flooded when the creek overflows which has been alot this year. I will be trying a few other plants down there and see how they do. I think the most important thing for these plants is they must have a very good root system to withstand the current going over them. So far the hosta is doing ok. Put a taller plant in front of it to shade the afternoon sun.
Linda

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Lingularia will love it... lovely monster plants :D
Iris will be fine
Hibiscus surprise me ...
Daylillies..spmeone have to tell me how to kill them, they seem to adjust to every thing
Hostas will be fine... I have forgotten hostas in buckets filled with water for weeks.. okay more than a month... never thought od fifferent sorts of hostas- you have to try. I know I have never tried a plantaginea sort off.

If it is only flooded for a few days each time you can use everything exept dessert plants. Even alpines cantake a few days of standing water... they are used to it in the spring
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

This isnt standing water. The creek rises and overflows into this area and its part of the creek after that for a couple hours to a couple days. Been kind of rough on a few of the plants I put there but they are hanging in. Flooded 9 times this spring. Never done that before. And where I put plants its slowing down the current and depositing more silt around them. They have to be planted and rooted in real good.
Linda

My Hosta List
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Basket-weaving willow (salix) would love it! Think pussy willow tree. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I have a start of a corkscrew willow like where its planted already. Might take a small branch of it and try to start another one tho. Thanks
Linda

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply