HELP. Munstead Dark Red Stonecrop Sedum

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

brianmcmillen

HELP. Munstead Dark Red Stonecrop Sedum

Post by brianmcmillen »

Planted this three springs ago and it has come back each year, however as it starts to flower the stems begin to lay down in a circular pattern. It has done this the past three years, of course as the plant gets bigger it is getting more unsightly. What have I done wrong?
Attachments
rsz_1photo_sep_13_10_15_50_am.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: HELP. Munstead Dark Red Stonecrop Sedum

Post by Chris_W »

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Most sedum can do this for a number of reasons: 1) Not enough sunlight, 2) Too much moisture, 3) Soil that is too fertile, 4) Too much fertilizer, 5) Soil that doesn't drain well.

I suspect that this spot gets shade at some times of the day and being next to the hose I have to wonder if it is getting too much water. Sedum doesn't ever need supplemental water, doesn't ever need fertilizing, grows best in lean, sandy soil, and will stand up better if it is always dry. You might just need to find a new spot for this one.

Good luck!

Chris
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

brianmcmillen, we have our sedum in a high dry spot and we see this happen when it starts to bud. It's like it's to top heavy and we have to put a soft shoe string around it to keep them upward! We have them in clay and they just won't stand up too. We don't do anything special and haven't divided these either in the 20+ years we have lived here. Ours is the plain one but last year we picked up the variegated one, it too wants to lay flat.
Attachments
20110911_17b.jpg
20110911_17b.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I had to put mine in a sunnier location. They never bloomed until I did. That or they didnt like the lilac bush they were beside. Now they are in a very dry spot with morning and noon sun. Doing alot better. Now I have blooms. They were here when I moved in and never saw them bloom for 2 years. Now I know what they are suppost to look like 8-)
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply