what to plant on a steep embankment

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

firefly13
USDA Zone: 5b

what to plant on a steep embankment

Post by firefly13 »

Good Day! I have a tall rock wall with a steep embankment above it, around 1,200 square feet in direct sun light. I’m looking to plant something not too expensive that doesn’t require any maintenance and retains the newly put soil and was looking for some suggestions. I need to do something quickly because the darn weeds are already coming through it. : ) Thanks! Kindest Regards, Andréa
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: what to plant on a steep embankment

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums.

I would plant different Sedums in that spot. There are many different varieties, both clumping and spreading, and they don't need any real maintenance or care. Sedum Angelina is a vigorous groundcover that will cover thick enough to prevent weeds and it will spread around taller clumping types. I've done entire gardens with nothing but different sedums and love how it can turn out :)

Good luck!

Chris
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Sedums are a primary component of many live roof formulations and this would be a similar type application where little to no maintenance is desired, and they can look nice too. Although if it was mine, I would probably add an area or 2 of grasses such as the switch grasses or Little Bluestem grass.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Excellent suggestions and a few more are the step-able plants one will find for their area. Ajuga and even Corsica mint. One could even go so
far as to put in a full hillside of thyme other plants one don't have to do anything with?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply