UUMMMM-supposed to be "Baby Joe" Eupatorium

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

UUMMMM-supposed to be "Baby Joe" Eupatorium

Post by boops »

This is supposed to be Eupatorium "Baby Joe" its now 5 feet tall-just 1 foot shorter than the regular ones. Anyone else have this one grow so tall?

My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: UUMMMM-supposed to be "Baby Joe" Eupatorium

Post by Chris_W »

That does seem a bit tall for Baby Joe, but the regular ones, in the right conditions, can get several feet taller yet. Maybe it just really likes where it is at - have you had a lot of rain this year too? They love moisture :)
boops

Post by boops »

Earlier in the season we got tons of rain-and I do have a soaker hose under the whole row of plants for none rain periods. I have another one a few feet away and it is only 2 feet tall planted at the same time. I almost lost both last year from some insect attack. this year I sprayed them every 2 weeks with Spinosad and they did much better as you can see. My regular one is about 6 1/2 feet tall. We'll see what happens next year. If it continues to be this large I'll have to move it. I wanted a nice 3 foot tall plant, its crowding out several other plants.
My Hosta List

Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I've not grown Baby Joe, but I can tell you that the regular joe-pye weed grows at least 8 feet tall in my garden. I'm planning to move it in the spring. The friend who shared it with me said that it gets 6 feet tall in her garden (she lives just 20 miles from me, same zone, same conditions). It must really like it here. :lol:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
boops

Post by boops »

Chris said they love water. So may be they it gets more water at your place. I dug mine up and moved it to an area with more space. I had two in the same garden, So I moved the big one and centered the other one. Lets see what happens next year. My regular sized one did make it to 7 feet, I just trimmed them all down to about 3 feet. The fall chores are starting, trimming down everything that is finished blooming. I divided and move a lot of Daylilies already.
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply