Question on coffee grounds

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Question on coffee grounds

Post by oldcoot »

Now that winter is among us, we run through two drip pots of coffee a day. I can't stand to throw any thing away, so Where can I use tyhe used grounds in my gardens.....

That Funny & Friendly Old Coot named John saying "MERRY CHRISTMAS"
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Roses and hostas love it... and I think a lot of other plants too :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
oldcoot

My Roses first and then the Hosta

Post by oldcoot »

Right now I can SEE my Rose Bed, but my Hosta are all leaved over. So,I'll put the grounds on my Roses untill I can see where the Hosta are,and then I'll switch over.....

Thanks

There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey OC!

I add coffee grounds year round to my beds. I get 20# or so twice weekly from the local Staryucks and sprinkle them all over the general area where the beds are. I figure between the coffee grounds and the chopped leaf top dress I should have much healthier beds come spring.

Alexa
oldcoot

Soundss good to me.

Post by oldcoot »

Wed just got a new starbucks here, I'll see what I can beg.........

Walnut grove

Post by Walnut grove »

Great !! I am a big time coffee drinker( more than I want to admit) but at least now I can put those grounds to good use.
Thanks
Walnut
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

What about acidity? Do you think that would be a problem or has most of it been washed out in the brewing process? Maybe someone can tell us...
Jeanne
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

OC - you definitely should NOT have to beg. It is part of the Starbucks mission statement that they are a "green" company and state that they provide coffee grounds for gardeners in the statement.

The best method I have found is to call them first thing in the morning when I know I will be stopping by top pick up grounds around 10 AM. They will save everything for me for that 3 hour window.

Also - if they ask if they can leave the filters in the mix - YES! The filters break down very rapidly and it makes for happier coffee peddlars if they don't have to fish them out of the grounds.

For anyone who is into vermi-composting or just wants to increase the earthworms in the beds - worms LOVE coffee grounds! They will come right to the surface to grab them and head back down underground which does a great job aerating too.

Coffee grounds are also a "green" in your compost bin. Very handy to add a bunch of them when you rake/chop all those autumn leaves. I layer leaves/grounds into a lasagna type mounds for use in the spring.

Coffee is a very very good thing in the garden.

Alexa
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

And the acidity is gone with the brewing process.

I'm a Starbucks bag lady. :lol: I use a flower pot to fling them widely across the beds and lawn. It's impossible to have too many coffee grounds. they're that good.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Great! Good to know that Mary Ann. Thanks for the info!
Jeanne
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

We toss our coffee grounds on the compost pile all the time....filters and all. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

I've just started going to Starbucks to get their coffee grounds. Love them! I spread them out around all my perennial beds, hoping it'll deter the neighborhood cats from using my beds as a litter box.

I also got a bunch of rabbit doo from a friend and added it to my compost, but it stunk like crazy, so I put a bunch of coffee grounds in also and it took the rabbit smell away.

My Starbucks has a bin they set by the front door and as they fill up the bags with used grounds, they put them in the bin free for the taking. It's amazing how quickly those things disappear!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
impatience

Post by impatience »

The couple of Starbucks we have in town told me that they save theirs for a local landscaper who leaves a 33 gal trashcan and picks it up each day!!! :evil:

Maybe I need to start asking all my friends to save theirs for me!
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
macoptions

Post by macoptions »

Unfortunately there are no Starbucks here in the NH seacoast. Is there some reason why one should not use Dunkin Dounuts coffee grounds? :eek:
Jeff, gardening in NH Seacoast

Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries. -James A. Michener
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I prefer Krispy Kreme dounuts myself, but grounds is grounds. :wink:
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Mary Ann wrote:And the acidity is gone with the brewing process.

I'm a Starbucks bag lady. :lol: I use a flower pot to fling them widely across the beds and lawn. It's impossible to have too many coffee grounds. they're that good.
Nah, the acidity doesn't get washed out. It may be slightly more neutral, but the grounds will still be acidic. That's actually a good thing for hostas and shade plants, though! Further, the pH isn't going to be so low that it will hurt the plants, regardless of whether it has gone through the brewing process or not. However, I wouldn't put them on alkaline loving plants.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Counselor, I object. :roll: Used coffee grounds are pH neutral.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/soil ... 19975.html
My Hosta List

oldcoot

O.C. thanks you IMMENSLEY

Post by oldcoot »

For that information. Leave it to the EXPERTS on Hallsons. My something new learned for today..

That FUNNY and VERY Friendly Old Coot named John, Saying he sure is enjoying this Spring weather, and all of everybody's pretty Spring Flowers
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Mary Ann wrote:Counselor, I object. :roll: Used coffee grounds are pH neutral.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/soil ... 19975.html
That info was interesting. Maybe it does have to do with the water used, but I can brew coffee twice and still get acidic grounds (around 5.8-6.5, depending upon the beans ground--I raise fish and was a chemsitry minor, so I keep litmus paper on hand), but I do use Reverse Osmosis water rather than hard water which is more likely to neutralize the grounds.

Nonetheless, I still do find it odd that brewed grounds are pH neutral, when I can brew another pot from used grounds and the coffee, although weak, is still coffee (i.e. dark with tanic acid). However, as I said, different water will make different results. Once they've composted a bit, anyway, and the rain and sun hits it as well, I'd agree that it should be pretty near 7.0 (but probably a bit on the acidic side due to carbonic acid from breakdown).

Just some thoughts and experiences.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

As you know, Homer, the composting process itself neutralizes both high and low pH bringing the end product into a neutral range. Even if used CG were slightly acidic, the PH effect would be neutral by the time these elements are broken down in the soil into a compound useable to plants.

And, ah yes, I'd put them on both rhodys and clematis. :D
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply