Leafmold questions.........

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

hostaaddict

Leafmold questions.........

Post by hostaaddict »

I half-heartedly tried to make leafmold once before without much success. Do the leaves have to be finely shredded? Does the pile need to be in the sun or will shady area work?
don't have shredder, but suppose could rake them in pile and go over them with mower. Also could you add some regualr fertilizer to the pile if don't have access to manure? If so, about how much? thanks! jackie
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Jackie: If you pile up leaves, leafmould will happen...eventually. If the leaves are whole and dry, it could take years. Chopping up the leaves (however you can) speeds up the process - the finer you chop them, the quicker you will get leafmould. You don’t have to add water or keep the pile moist (like a wrung-out sponge)...but if you do, you will get leafmould faster. When piling up the chopped leaves, I add water to dampen the leaves every 6 inches or so, so all the material is damp throughout the pile. You also don’t need manure to make leafmould. I use composted manure instead of chemical fertilizers, so I add it when chopping the leaves to introduce beneficial microbes, which helps speed the decomposition process. And that way, its already mixed in well with the leafmould, so I don’t have to mix it in with a shovel/fork later. Don’t know anything about adding chemical fertilizer...I don’t use any here. The leafmould piles here are in shade, since we have no sun (hehe). If you have to put the pile in sun, you may want to add water occasionally, as it seems it may dry out faster with the sun beating on it. It won’t work to just spray the outside of the pile with a hose...you need to get the water down into the center, too. Dig some test holes in the pile to see if the center is still moist. If it isn’t, it would probably be easiest to just turn the whole pile, wetting as you go. This will also speed up the process, just like it does with a regular compost pile.

It IS worth the effort!!! Good Luck!

wanda
impatience

Post by impatience »

I just love the leafmould I get. I shred the leaves (lots of leaves) and pile them up. I have added extra water this past year because the of the drought. I also put down cheap plastic dropcloths on the ground before I put the leafmould down-it keeps the moisture in and helps keep roots from growning thru. I don't add any supplements but the water.

A couple of years ago I put the shredded leaves in a different spot that didn't get supplemental water and I got a dried out mess with a grey mold at the center. Eek! Needed a hazard mask to get that stuff out of there. Moisture is very impt.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

thanks for your replies Wanda and Impatience. I think I will try it your way. Seems such a shame to try and burn all those leaves and pollute when can be using them
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jackie, the lawn mower is perfect for chopping up those leaves. I run over them many times aiming for oatmeal sized chips that will be leafmold within a year when piled up and kept damp. These leaf chips can also be spread anywhere in the garden and decompose in place. You won't even know it's happening.

Adding manure or other fertilizers to chopped leaves will result in compost but it's all good.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

I take the easy way out and it worked great for me this year (my first). I mow over the leaves, just once cause I am too lazy to do it more than that :oops: and wet them down every 6 inches or so as was mentioned. I put grass clippings in and bury kitchen waste (so the critters don't get it). My pile is in the shade of an apple tree and a fence. That's all! I paid no attention to it what so ever and had the most amazing leafmold this fall! It's easy, Jackie! :D
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

OK now you've all gotten me excited to try this again. The first time we did the black plastic bag version, but didn't shred the leaves. Just wet them and threw in handful of fertilizer and closed the bags and put them on south side of the house. Next Spring with great anticipation I ripped open the bags to find, what else? Dead wet leaves :lol: :-? thanks all!...jackie
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

So Jackie- Have you started a leafmould pile???????
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

Not yet, I'm afraid. My DH went out and blew the leaves out of the gardens yesterday and suddenly i saw this smoke and realized he was burning them. I do think there will be plenty more out there so still have hopes of trying this. :oops:
New Topic Post Reply