Garden Fabric & Compost

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Garden Fabric & Compost

Post by nanny_56 »

When using garden fabric to restrict weeds, should you put the compost down first or is it okay put it on top of the fabric??

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

I would put the compost down first. My thinking is that the compost is going to get weeds in it as well, so unless you want to use 2 layers of landscape fabric you'd be wasting your money putting down the fabric first.

Hope you're enjoying this amazing weather we're having! :)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Loving it!! :P

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If you are going to use fabric the soil below should be prepared first and then just top with mulch or stone.

Personally I do not recommend fabric for perennials. You can really only use it for beds that are going to be strictly for shrubs or a few select clumping type plants in areas that you never plan to replant or cultivate in the future. It also works really well if you are going to top with stones such as in a pathway.

The problems with fabric include: restricting perennial root growth and preventing plants from expanding/spreading; making it nearly impossible to weed once weeds start growing in the surface mulch; making it very difficult to transplant, replant, or rearrange the garden; preventing nutrients from decaying mulch from percolating down in the root zone, and over time it can really get to be a mess.

A thick layer of mulch will do more to prevent weeds and the mulch will help to improve the soil over time.

The only times I use fabric are under pathways, in our shade houses, under stone mulch, and sometimes in shrub beds if I don't intend to plant perennials.

Hope that helps a little :)

Chris
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Claudia

You can use old papers instead of fabric, it will break down in a few years, you can dig a hole in it and it is free :D

I'm with Chris, fabric is best where you are not going to grow anything but make a nice wiev by topping it with clippings or small stones- know a lot of names for those stones, but none of them are English :lol:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Well said, Chris.

Fabric works well in the bottom of containers to keep the soil in and the slugs out.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply