Ross Root Feeding Tool

Use this area to discuss garden prep, soils, composting, and other related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Mary Ann

Ross Root Feeding Tool

Post by Mary Ann »

Is anyone familiar with these? It's an spike-like apparatus with 4 holes at the base that attaches to the hose and forces liquid nutrients below the soil to tree roots. You punch it into the ground as deep as you want.

My bright idea is to use it to get plain water below the mulch in areas that are always thirsty. I'm thinking no wasted water soaking the mulch and little evaporation. I just don't know how long to keep it running in each area?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I was given one to feed the Brugmansia with but don't know the brand it is. I pop it in the pot and can either see it bubble up or run out the bottom. The MG that gave it to me said to not over do it and it's great to use to feed directly to the roots of a plant. I believe his words were have fun playing, but count to ten and turn it off.

We also have soaker hoses that are buried under the mulch for the harder to reach plants.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks for your input, Karma. "Count to ten and turn it off'"? :o I've been running it for 1/2 hr then moving to the next area. In that time the soil is soaked wide and deep. I'm loving this tool and picked up 2 of them from a yard sale.

Last week I needed to move a few plants so let the oscillating sprinkler run on them for 4 hours. When I dug up the plants, the mulch and top soil were wet but the root zone was dry. :( That sprinkling was next to useless.

We have dozens of soaker hoses buried under the mulch but most have been cut or pierced as I dig. :evil: More often than not, when it rains in Chicago, we get spit.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply