Advise please

Use this area to discuss roses.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Advise please

Post by Ginger »

I have a bed that until recently housed some Hosta, but the sun was just too much for them, so they are now moved to new locations. This leaves this east/west running bed empty and I thought maybe I could find some roses for that area. The area gets sun in from about 10-2 then shade for a few hours, then sun again from about 4-6, then shade. The sun is really hot and intense when it reaches the beds. Is that enough sun to grow any roses?

Here is a picture of the bed before I moved the hosta.

Ginger
Attachments
ewbed.jpg
ewbed.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 4614 times
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ideally a minimum of 6-8 hours. Your spot sounds ok. There are a number of roses that can do with a little less. Possible some of the older garden roses.
HOpefully someone else here can be more specific.
vintagedude

Post by vintagedude »

Ooh, ooh, me, me! :lol:
Yes, the spot is just fine. For our god-awful summer conditions and the fact that you'll have shade during parts of the day, I'd like to recommend a couple of things that I've had excellent luck with.
For taller roses in the center or back of the bed, nothing performs better than old fasioned Hybrid Rugosa roses. They fountain and look great even when not in bloom. The best part is they'll never need spraying, feeding or extra care.
For medium sized roses, Satterlee Nursery in OKC carries own-root Belinda's Dream roses. Scads of clear pink very double blooms that are prolific even if they get less than ideal sun. Once established they also never need spraying or extra care. Nice clean shrubs.
Carfree Wonder has lived up to its name and like the above keeps itself clean and green without my help. Fairly reliable bloomer and attractive pink two tones if you don't mind singles.
For the small size, I've loved just good old fashioned Iceberg. It can lose its leaves to BS occasionally but it always recovers and is constantly covered with perfect little vase shaped blooms regardless.
I don't spray, hand water or flick off bugs, and I plant in the baking hot Oklahoma clay. That said, these are the roses that have done the absolute best for me. The above roses have been planted on the northwest side of the house, meaning shade more than half the day, except for the horribly hot afternoon.
Cap'n Tim, from gardening hades, Oklahoma
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Tim! I was hoping you would chime in since you live here also and know what I face weather wise! I have printed this off so I will have it when I go to the nursery. Is it too hot to plant roses now? Should I wait until this fall, or next spring?

Ginger
vintagedude

Post by vintagedude »

Hey Ginger!
I've planted roses this time of year before, mainly because the major sales are hitting right about now. It is indeed a much riskier time to plant and you have to coddle them quite a bit to assure survival (near daily slow deep watering around the roots, adding a transplant shock liquid, etc...). I've heard that the best time to plant for our area is Feb. for bare root, and Mar.-Apr. for potted roses.
I'm far from an expert, but after years of experimenting I've learned a lot from periods of high mortality rates! :lol:
You'll have to let me know what you get and I'd love to see pictures of the results!
Cap'n Tim, from gardening hades, Oklahoma
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

The most trouble free roses for me are McCartney and Gruss an Aachen. I don't spray either and those laugh at blackspot and bloom nonstop for me.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Alexa! Realize I know nothing about roses when I ask this question.. are the names you gave me the names of the rose bushs or the names of the growers? :oops:

Ginger
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Ginger!

Those are both the names of the rose. The McCartney Rose is a bright pink, hybrid tea form with an amazing scent. That means it looks kinda like the ones you get from the florist. It can get tall! I think mine is about 6 - 7 feet tall right now.

McCartney Rose

Gruss an Aachen is a light shell pink, smaller bush and quite shade tolerant. I think it tops out at about 3 feet and has a much more casual form.

Gruss an Aachen

You can look at both on Helpmefind.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php

Let me know if I can be of further help!
Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I have tried and lost awhole lot of roses. :cry: I finally got rid of all mine except my Red Knockout which requires no care once established. I trim it back some in the fall and just let it do it's thing and is in bloom all summer til frost. :D
I also kept 1 English Rose from the Ultimate Series, It is a David Austin rose with a wonderful scent called Falstaff. It does take time to get this one going and you do have to dead head and cut stem correctly on this one. But I give up on Tea Roses and I like constant or near constant bloom anyway. Good luck and hope you find some that works for you!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply