proud mama...

Use this area to discuss roses.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dee_dla
USDA Zone: 4b

proud mama...

Post by Dee_dla »

This year I decided to try growing roses from hips with absolutely no previous experience. I was able to get a lot of hips from a friend who had no idea what the mama was other than a red rose. My favorite color!

Did some online research and though it took a lot of patience on my part...I am now seeing the first buds.

Here is the first bloom from one of the many starts I have. I am just so proud!!! :D

Thanks for peeking in at my new baby. :wink:
Attachments
my_red_rose.jpg
my_red_rose.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." ~John Keats
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

A very pretty coral red! Love that color? So you started these this year?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Dee_dla
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Dee_dla »

sure did, Jane! I took the seeds out of the hips in January (didn't have time to get to them before with the holidays). The hips had been stored in my veggie bin of the fridge. Then I soaked the gazillions of seeds in a very diluted mix of peroxide and water for a few hours. The seeds were then placed between moist paper towels in a ziplock bag and back into the veggie bin for about 8 weeks or so. I kept checking them for signs of sprouts but it took about that long for the first sighting. They seem to take thier individual time about sprouting and I still have many that haven't yet. At this point, I remove them from the veggie bin for a day or two each week. Check seeds and put them back in the fridge. I just potted up another 8 seeds the other day. So far, I have had about 20 plants succeed in growth. Six of them are setting buds now. I am anxious to see the others as they were open pollinated and will likely all be a bit different.

Here is progression of that first bud two days later, whose seed was planted in early March. :D
Attachments
I think it is so pretty but then I am sure to be biased!  lol
I think it is so pretty but then I am sure to be biased! lol
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." ~John Keats
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I love that color! Kudos for starting it yourself. I didn't realize that it would that easy. Well, not easy, time consuming I'm sure, but........ Neat idea! :) THanks so much for sharing it all! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply