Old fashioned rose question

Use this area to discuss roses.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hosta12_Ia

Old fashioned rose question

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I need some help from you rose people, please. I don't know what kind of rose I am looking for. There are many in yards blooming right now here in Iowa. It's yellow, small flowers. Not a climber, a rambler maybe? You don't see them at the nurserys much. I found 3 one year and gave one to my Dad, my sister and kept one. Mine was the only one still living when we moved. I moved it 3 years ago when we moved and I thought it was going to be okay, but alas, it is not. This reminds me so much of my Dad, who passed away 3 1/2 years ago. Can anyone help, please?? TIA
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

May 23 is too early for a rose to be bloomin here in z6/7, mine are still just budding out. Are you sure it is a rose that you are seeing and not Kerria Japonica? There is a double variety that looks just like a little tiny antique rose.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/kerria.html
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Yes, I am sure it is a rose. It grows up and then cascades. I need to find the right person where I had bought the others so they know what I am talking about. I asked someone last year, but they had no idea what I was asking. Sigh. I WILL figure it out eventually. Thanks for the help.
Jo
John

Post by John »

Is it Father Hugo's Rose? Rosa hugonis?

Clear yellow 2" flowers, arching foliage, earliest of all to bloom in May.

Probably once-blooming?
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

John, thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure that's not the name that was on mine, but it looks similar. However, I think that one is more "full", like a double? I'll keep looking. Thanks!!
Jo
DryGulch

your yellow rose

Post by DryGulch »

I don't know the name of your yellow rose, but I suggest you find a yard with one and approach someone about taking an offshoot.

I think the yellow rose you mentioned is the same one I have always connected withmy grandparents. Here in zone 5 central WI it always bloomed on their annivesary, June 10.

It is not available in regular commercial outlets. It looks a lot like Harrison's Gold, but isn't. I have always wanted one because of my personal connection, but they are not thick on the ground.

Find someone with one and approach them.
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Thanks DryGulch; that's what I am thinking of doing. In fact, on the other side of my neighbor there is one. I am not sure if it is on his land or the other persons. If it belongs to my neighbor, chances are he wouldn't care if I took the whole thing. A young man moved in the year after us and doesn't have much interest in his yard. I don't know his neighbor yet, but I may soon. :lol:
Thanks,
Jo
New Topic Post Reply