What to do with Rose in Nursery Pot

Use this area to discuss roses.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

What to do with Rose in Nursery Pot

Post by JaneG »

I'm not a rose person (the usual fears of them being fussy, etc). But early this summer I saw a pretty climbing rose called "Fourth of July" from Weeks Roses. I bought it and brought it home, but never got around to planting it. :roll:

Now it's the end of the season and it's doing well but it's still in the original nursery pot. I don't yet have the bed for it ready. What should I do with it? Is it too late to disturb it by trying to plant it? If I leave it in the pot should I bury the pot? Should I put it in an unheated shed to protect from winter wind and burn? Does it need to be covered?

Help me please. It's really a pretty rose and I want it to survive, despite my poor efforts.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
John

Post by John »

I would preferably plant it now in its permanent position, hopefully without disturbing the rootball; after the weather begins to turn cold, I'd mound soil up around the rose to a cone-shape about 18" high.

I don't know how hardy that particular rose is. I recommend the roses of Dr. Griffith Buck for extreme hardiness and disease resistance.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Sorry John, I'm going to disagree. I wouldn't put it out until next spring and enjoy it inside for the winter.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Karma, when you say "enjoy it inside for the winter" are you saying that I can keep it growing indoors all winter? Don't roses need a dormant season?
JaneG
John

Post by John »

Hmmm, I'd surely not keep it indoors...

Considering that dormant roses can be planted in mid-March (zones 6/7), I don't see why it couldn't be planted now.

How about leaving it in the container, but plunging it into the ground for now, then mulching heavily?

I tend to think that overly pampering a plant can be bad.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those that are grown for florists as in mini roses and Azaleas aren't really to be planted outside. But some of us that have done so understand that these may not make it or take a few years before they do well. I have done both but have only attempted so in the spring to give them a better chance to take off. :oops: She could put if up closer to the house but if this one is full of memories I'd wait. Okay John, I see your point but these are special nursery ones?? Maybe Chris can help??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Hi Jane, :D

I really don't have a knack with roses but my mother grows monsters. I would say to plant it and mound some soil up around it for extra protection because I know that is what my mom would say to do. At the very least, sink the pot in the ground and mound up some soil around it. It's really pretty and according to the info at http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=13992 it sounds like a winner.

I'm ashamed to admit that I still have a Buck rose in a pot sunk in the vegetable garden. It's been there for several years. :oops:

Karma, It's a potted climber that she bought at a nursery. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Plant it! :wink:

And if it has a bud union, burry it 4 inches below that!! :cool:
John

Post by John »

Karma, I think it is just in a "nursery" container, like any plant material from a nursery, not like some hot-house forced azalea or hydrangea, or even miniature rose.

Have to agree with Patrushka's posting-- plant it and mound up the soil, and as Lucy thought of, keep the bud union below the surface. I don't know if this is a grafted rose, or own root rose...
kHT

Post by kHT »

Okay, plant it!! :???: Hoping that your winter will be a mild one knowing what the midwest can get pretty cold.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I don't have good success with roses either, but here in our zone 5 I have heard it recommended to spray with a fungicide, mound soil up a few inches (like already suggested) and then I see some who put wire cages around them and insulate with loosely packed leaves around the canes. Now I realize this is for like tea roses and some of the less hardy ones (climbers are typically a little tougher, I think). The fungicide protects the covered bud union and lower canes from anything growing under the leaves/soil put on them.

Don't take this advice unless someone else confirms it! How's that for a disclaimer? This is what I was going to do with mine last year...didn't...it died in the freeze.... :(

Oh, I would plant it pot and all in a very well-drained spot and water once monthly if you've had no measurable moisture....I think the nurseries 'heel in' their pots to winter over...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
John

Post by John »

Heeling-in is a good idea, but if the plant will come out in one solid rootball, I don't know if there is any benefit to leaving the container, which might impede drainage.

If you are REALLY into overwintering this particular climber, you could actually dig a shallow tranch near the plant, and lay the canes in it, then cover them with soil. This would assume the rootball is planted almost normally, but perhaps tilted a bit to the side. This is the technique for saving tree roses, so the one cane does not die-back. I think in this case it would be a bit over the top!
DryGulch

Sinking feeling...

Post by DryGulch »

Sink it pot and all into the ground. If you mound up leaves or mulcharound the top of the plant, be sure to use rat bait. Rodents are particularly found of girdling roses during the late winter. When you mound up and cover the top you are realing marking a rodent motel!!!

This is my personal experience with hundreds of roses and potted perennials during the central WI winters.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks for all the input! It sounds like the consensus is to go ahead and put it in the ground with some soil or mulch mounded up around it. That's what I'll do. As far as leaving it in the pot goes, if it seems like the root ball wants to come out with the soil intact, I'll take it out. If the soil is loose and starts falling away, I'll just leave it in the pot over the winter to reduce disturbing the roots!

Thanks again!!
JaneG
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

November is THE MONTH for planting roses here.

Do as LG say and it will be fine... best way to kill a rose is to keep it unprotecyed in the pot during a cold winther-

If you do not have the right spot, dig a hole lay it down 45 degree and cover it with soil, the bud union is the tender point.

Long time ago I were a rose person :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply