Buying New Containers

Use this area to discuss container and trough gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Buying New Containers

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

In the front I have 3 dark gray containers that look like granite. I'll get identical "color bowls" from Wal-Mart to fill those. That's what I did last year (pink geraniums, purple petunias, and dusty miller). I think I should buy two white vinyl square planters for the back. They'll look good with my rose arbor. Whatcha think? :)

Tell me about your containers.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
Midnight Reiter Too

Does anyone here have those square white containers? If not, do you think they're too expensive or is it that you just don't like the look?

Does anyone here buy color bowls from Wal-Mart or Lowe's or some other place? Or do you just buy separate plants and make your own color bowls?
Midnight Reiter Too

:( Did I say something wrong?
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

No silly, of course you didn't say anything wrong. This forum is just clear down at the bottom of the main page list...bet most folks don't even see it. ;)

Let's see, I don't have the white square planters cause I don't have a nice porch to put them on or anything but I do like the look. Maybe I need an arbor of my own! :lol:

I usually make my own container plantings and hanging baskets, although the last couple of years I have bought pre-made hanging baskets. I just enjoy putting together the container plantings...it's fun to me. Heck, I've been looking at magazines the last few days getting ideas for what to do this year. I even treated myself to a really pretty container today...now I get to plan what to plant in it. :P
Midnight Reiter Too

Cool, Dee. I was getting concerned that I'd done something to offend (unintentionally).

I think these containers are sort of expensive myself. I've been really poor in my life but now I'm finally getting a few nice things. I don't have a fence, swimming pool, trampoline or gym set for the grandkids, but I'm trying to make the yard look nice. Anyway, if someone says, "I can't afford them," I understand.

I've put together some flower bowls. I guess I might do it again sometime. Last year I saw some I liked already put together and bought them. But it was a busy summer and I didn't get any pictures taken of my flowers.

There was a pretty little lavender flower I used one year. I think it was called nemesia. Have you ever used that? There's a white variety, too. It drapes over the side of the pot.
Dee

Post by Dee »

Oh yes, I love nemesia. Oddly enough, a little local market (that also sells a ton of flowers) was open today (surprised me) and I popped in to see what they were gonna offer this year. They actually had some nemesia blooming today! Boy oh boy was that a wonderful sight to see. :D :D It looks like they are going to have a pink variety this year too (it wasn't blooming yet). Can't wait to see it! I like bacopa an awful lot, too. Have you used that? Let's see, what else do I use a lot? Sweet potato vines (love those!), coleus, angelonia (sp?), those cape daisy things (osteo-something-or-other), verbena....gosh, I'll cram darn near anything in a pot. hehe I also have started a bunch of dahlias this year (first time to try that one) and I'll use them in containers too. Last year I used some cute little brown grass too...twisted coffee or toffee or something like that. Basically, I go raid the 'Proven Winners' section of every garden center within 25 miles to see what's new and cool and fun and use it!

I have 3 window boxes on my shed so I plant those up (and hope I water them enough so I don't kill them by the middle of the summer :eek:) and I have 2 tall urn thingies on either side of the front entry. Then I usually plant up some other containers that are mixed in my flower beds - not very many, but just enough to kinda try and add a little life to the beds when some of my perennials are being lazy in the middle of the summer. ;)
Dee

Post by Dee »

And I just realized you are in Indiana, too. Whereabouts? I live in the Indy area - are you nearby? :)
Midnight Reiter Too

I'm up in Elkhart County which borders Michigan. I like bacopa (is that spelled right?). I was afraid to try the cape daisy ---- I thought maybe I would kill it. But I did plant a Gerbera daisy in my yard last year. Verbena never does well for me. I guess I don't really have a green thumb, but I'll die trying. I absolutely love yellow argyranthemum (Marguerite daisies), and they look gorgeous if you plant them in the ground, deadhead them, and give them lots of water.

I bought bells of Ireland seeds to try this year.

I want to get more Jacob's ladder and keep it watered this time.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Dee is right... this forum have been sleeping all winter, but will wake up soon :wink:

Do not know the containers you are talking about, but for me size matters :wink: the bigger, the less problematic they are to keep moist, and for plastic: Give them a big stone in the bottom, othervise the wind will turn them over if they are smaller at the foot than at the top... what perfect English :oops: hope you understand what I mean... otherwise, please ask :lol:
White containers will fit your arbor, but if they stand on dirt, lift them a bit or they will look dirty everytime it have been raining or you have watered the garden.
What about finding some anuals in the same color as the arbor flowers ??... or it this just to boring simple Scandinavian way :wink:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Midnight Reiter Too

Hi, Pia. I understand. Your English is good and my husband and I have been around international students a lot. I tried my best to say kølbrød or Kjøttbrød. Is that how you spell meatloaf in Danish? If that's correct, it's the only word of Danish that I know. :D But I don't say it quite right.

The containers I'm speaking of are self-watering and they're made in Italy by Marchioro. Here in the U. S. they're sold by Gardener's Supply Company.
Last edited by Midnight Reiter Too on Mar 28, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Reiter Too

thy wrote: What about finding some anuals in the same color as the arbor flowers ??... or it this just to boring simple Scandinavian way :wink:
Pia
That sounds good, but where will I find blue flowers like Heavenly Blue morning glories(Ipomoea sp.) ? If you don't know these flowers, they're very popular in the United States and Japan.

Here's a picture:

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD--100 ... 14D74371B0
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I have one of those square planters left and will not waste my money on another one if it was the last planer on this green earth. They sure don't last as long as their round counter parts. I got a couple for some square corners areas and kick myself for doing so, 4 years ago. Like I said only one is left. Now if they made them out of cement I wouldn't be moving them either? Sounds like you have a good start, not into those fancy pots, sorry. I have so many potted plants once you start putting them together the pretty ones get lost in the mix.
Midnight Reiter Too

I have three round granite look ones in the front and never need to move them. Those are for the annuals in the front. It's easier to grow annuals in pots, I think. There's no weeding!

I thought about round stone look planters for the back, but I didn't know how they'd look with the white rose arbor. So now I have the square ones and I sure hope they hold up, Karma.
Midnight Reiter Too

Dee, bacopa comes in blue, doesn't it? That would look nice with morning glories.
Dee

Post by Dee »

Gosh I'm having a memory block. I can't remember if there is a blue bacopa? I bet there is, though. I stopped on the way home and bought 75 4" pots of pansies. Got them all planted in an hour and a half...that's a new record for me. :eek: Filled the urns by my front entry and another container with them, then planted others in the ground. Helllooooo spring!!! Oh and I envy you for the Bells of Ireland. I looked and looked for seed this winter and couldn't find any. Used to be able to find it around here easy enough - back when I didn't want to grow it. :lol:
New Topic Post Reply