What to do with concrete planters?

Use this area to discuss container and trough gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

What to do with concrete planters?

Post by JaneG »

I found these concrete planters at Walmart for $10. Now I'm not sure what to do with them! :roll:

I'm debating on whether to make them a focal point or whether to snuggle them into an existing bed.

The concrete doesn't seem to be sealed. Do I need to seal them? Should I take them inside over winter so they don't crack and break? (As heavy as they are, I really don't want to move them often.)

What would YOU plant in them?

Will they wick the moisture out of the soil and I'll have to water them a lot?

I'll gladly take any suggestions you have!! :D
Attachments
Closeup
Closeup
Concrete Planters.JPG
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Snow

Post by Snow »

Whelp - I love containers such as these. First question - they do need protection in freezing weather, yes. You *might* be ok emptying them, letting them dry out, and then covering them with plastic. What you dont want is for them to expand and crack, or worse.

What to plant - I love lots of herbaceous growth in "stone" containers. For shade - baby tears, ferns, mosses, maybe a few impatiens for color. For sun - thyme, rosemary, sage. That is just my taste - but maybe it will start you off with some ideas.
~*Snow*~
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jane, they are lovely. I have many concrete pieces that stay out all winter. The urns stay planted (with hosta). Except for my fountain, nothing gets covered. You should seal them tho' (to elimate the wicking and to keep the lime from leaching into the potting mix) and not place them directly on the soil. Keep a board or bricks underneath.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Jane, I just noticed your question was from July. Not much activity in this section. What did you do with your containers?
My Hosta List

JaneG

Post by JaneG »

NOTHING!! :lol: :lol: They are still sitting right where you see them in the picture . . . and still empty!!

They were on clearance in July so I couldn't pass them up. But by July I had pretty much given up on plants for the season. We were two months into drought with no sign of relief. I just tried to keep up with what I had and didn't do any new planting for the rest of the summer.

I'll store them in the shed over winter and then do something with them in the spring.

So what do I seal them with? Some sort of concrete sealer from the hardware store? I
JaneG
impatience

Post by impatience »

I am interested in this sealing question too. I have wondered what to do with my large concrete pot for the winter. We do have milder winters here, but it does freeze and once in a while we have a doozy of a winter. (with gas prices as they are, we are bound to have a kick a$$ winter).

Thanks for your help down here too.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

None of my stuff was purchased new . . .mostly from estate sales or curbside, so I don't know if they had ever been pre-treated. I sealed some of them with a concrete sealer, others with exterior polyurethane. I coat all wood or painted outside decorations with polyurethane to seal out moisture. . . .they stay nicer longer.
My Hosta List

JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks MaryAnn!!! :D
JaneG
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

This is a helpful thread. Thanks to all!
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
New Topic Post Reply