Do you bring them in?

Use this area to discuss container and trough gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Linda P

Do you bring them in?

Post by Linda P »

Now that winter is getting closer, it's time to start thinking about getting the container gardens off the porch. What do you do with yours? I have a terrible time letting go of them, so most of the time I bring them in the house. I've had some last through the winter and still look good. In fact, there is one huge tub out there that just went through the third summer. My grandson helped me plant it two summers ago for a school project (he was home-schooled then) and I can't seem to give up on it. It's still looking great! Well, maybe not great...but still attractive. Last year I brought several small containers in and put them down in the back corner of the basement, plants and soil intact. I got them out in April, watered them and put them under grow lights, and several of the things that were in them started up again. I added a few plants to them and they've been going strong all summer.
My strawberry pot of sedums and semps spent the winter in the house, and I only lost two of the sedums. They didn't get quite enough light to keep them going. This year that one will go in to a corner of the potting shed, and hopefully come through okay.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning Linda!!

Well, I just leave mine all outside.....LOL....my sedums do just fine outside in the winter...you don't get bugs bringing them inside? I do bring in all the house plants that I take outside, but I get bugs and I am going to spray this year with something....don't know what, but something.....:lol: I am looking outside right now, and man, I can not believe that the summer is just about gone.......so sad..... :(
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I have tried in the past to bring them end, but they end up looking pretty lousy by spring. And the bugs . . . :???:

This year I have an aloe and rosemary that are doing great in pots on the deck. I want to try to carry them over to next year, I think I'll try to put them in a corner of the garage.

Sorry I don't have any useful advice for you.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I always get bugs..uuck! I have an ivy that a neighbor gave me when they were getting ready to move. It was so sad looking and scraggly. It is now really filled out and looking so pretty but I don't want to bring it inside. Was wondering about putting in the garage. Ivy is usually pretty hardy so thought I would try anyway

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

I usually bring in 30 pots or more. They are the tropical plants that I grow every year. Brug, Cannas, Bananas, EE.
I have created what I refer to as my Tikki Tacky room in the basement. That has grass wall covering and tropical furniture pictures and some latice.

Then there are all the tender succulents and houseplants.... These are spread out throughout the house in various windows.

The bathroom gets the spa decoration treatment with a lot of plants that love moisture.

The strawberry pot and sedum and succulent pots stay outside I only bring in things that are not winter hardy.

So as you see I have a year round plant sickness. :lol:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Linda, that is a good idea! I have never brought mine inside. I just pull the plants out and cover up the pots outside. I would be scared I'd bring bugs into the house.... I'm scared of bugs especiaslly earwigs!! :eek: I do know of a lady that brought in a pot of her petunias and they flowered all winter.

Debbie

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC brings some of the house plants

Post by oldcoot »

he put out in the spring. He doesn't have ROOM for too many pots inside. Put fern in the bath-tug=b sevedral years ago. Made it through the winter, but of the six only one made it throught the summer.He leaves all his hostazs outside even te ones in pots. SO far they do pretty good. Havn't lost a one. My Cannas in pots are moved out into the yard, my Liliums on the deck are left in the 7-10 gallon buckets they grew in last summer. Sue looks bare out there with onlky Bird see on the deck and empty pots. OC leavesw all his tuliups, hyacinths, and daffs outside. Seem to do real well. This yearf OC put out a LOT more new tulips and daffs, pl all kins of crocus and early spring Iris......

COME ON SPRING. OC does not Like wInter - Too Cold
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply