Potting Medium Problems

Use this area to discuss container and trough gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Potting Medium Problems

Post by govgirl75 »

Every year, I empty the top half of my containers and replace the potting medium. This year, I am having problems with water retention. Two of my hanging baskets are retaining moisture to the point the plants are dying. These are baskets with cocoa mat liners and have good drainage. My large floor containers are drying out rapidly and the soil is pulling away from the sides. When I water those, the water does not permeate the soil evenly. It seems the soil has formed some kind of crust. The water runs off the top and flows into the void where the medium has pulled back from the sides of the pot. I used the same kind of medium, bought it at one time from the same place. It is a national brand.
Any suggestions as to what is going on? I am particularly frustrated with the baskets that hold water.
Gloria
John

Post by John »

Sounds like you're using a mixture with a high percentage of peat moss. This will hold a lot of water, but if it does dry out, it will also repel water, like the crust you mention.

I've learned to add about 50% or more of fine pine bark, for improved drainage. Works well for me, with the caveat that in time the bark will break down and also hold too much water, but this is manageable!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

govgirl75, this is why we buy our dirt in the fall as we find the spring stuff is as John said. Mainly for seedlings.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Thanks for your answers. The mix I use is specifically for containers and is on the pricey side. It does have a lot of peat in it as well as moisture holding crystals and Osmacote fertilizer. I always moisten it well prior to planting. I have just never had it behave this way before. Guess I will have to go back to mixing my own container medium. I used to do it years ago before we had nothing more than potting soil. Anyone have a good recipe?
Gloria
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

By removing and replacing the top half of your soil each year there is the potential for creating an artificial hardpan situation.
If you mix the new soil in with the old soil, rather than just layering it on top, you should be okay.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I have alot of potted plants and I sometimes have the problem with the soil seperating away from the side of the pot. I basically airate(sp?) the soil a couple of times each year by taking a pencil and poking it around, then water deep, then water again. My rule is water it until they "pee" then water them again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply