On the patio

Use this area to discuss container and trough gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

On the patio

Post by govgirl75 »

Here are a few containers on and around the patio.
Attachments
Warm colored annuals 2009
Warm colored annuals 2009
Hot pink annuals 2009
Hot pink annuals 2009
Hosta, fern, heuchera planter 2009
Hosta, fern, heuchera planter 2009
JaneG

Re: On the patio

Post by JaneG »

Oh, those look nice! :D I always like to include sweet potato vine and coleus in my annual containers. The barrel has perennials in it . . . are you able to overwinter them in the container successfully?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Lovely! I especially like the barrel planter as I have mostly shade to work with. Does it overwinter...like Jane asked?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

The perennials were divisions from plants in the garden. I was tired of spending money every year on annuals for the barrels, so I experimented with the perennials. I planted the divisions last summer and left them in the barrels over the winter. I expected some of the stuff to die, but everything I planted came back just fine. I am going to experiment with some other perennials in containers next year. I have ostrich ferns in mind as they are taking over the place :lol:
Break over. Back to weeding.
Gloria
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

govgirl, your pots are gorgeous!!! So full and lush. I do not like buying a bunch of annuals either every year I use houseplants and tropicals that I can save and use the next summer. It is like throwing money in the wind for 3 months. The Ostrish Ferns work great. I will post a pic tomorrow of the pot I did with the fern. It look better in the pot than it does in the ground. :lol:
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Oh, please do post a picture of the ferns in containers. Mine are really running rampant here and I have been racking my brain as to what to do with them. I started with one fern several years ago and now they have taken an area 12'x20'. I want more room for hostas and need to move most of the ferns somewhere.
Glo
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

They all look lovely, Glo! Very nicely done. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Thanks! :D
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Who is the little dog in the second photo? Looks a bit like LG's Papillion.. or like my Rattie with more hair :lol: :lol:
The containers look great, you did a good job with the different plants and contrasts!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Great containers but I love the Chihuahua! What a cutie pie!

Do you use special potting mix in them? I always seem to miss the right blend, either too coarse and it doesn't hold enough water or it is too dense and gets everything too wet :???:

Yours look super healthy!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Thanks, you guys!
The little dog is my third Chihuahua, Murphy. He looks kind of like a "Mini Me" of Willie. :lol:
I actually changed my potting mix this year and it has worked better. I have used ProMix for containers in the past. It comes in a lavender colored bag. I had a lot of trouble with it crusting over in the container and the water running off. This year I tried a mix with some of those water retention crystals in it. I removed about 8 inches of the ProMix and added the new stuff and mixed the two together. Then I added Osmocote and plants. I am happy with the results. The plants went in late in June and have grown well. The "mixed mix" :D seems to absorb the water and not crust over. I still water nearly every day, but the plants seem to have use of the water.
Glo
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

govgirl, I am sorry it took me so long. I forgot. If you find my memory send it home. This is one root I could have used another root. Next year I am going to copy you and add a hosta. :lol:

govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Aud,
Thanks for the picture of your ostrich ferns in a pot. You have inspired me to try that next spring. That will leave me more room for hostas in the beds.
Glo
New Topic Post Reply