Some more Jays and a Woodpecker

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Bluecanoe

Some more Jays and a Woodpecker

Post by Bluecanoe »

I took these yesterday morning..Lots of Jays, but saw an adult picking up nuts to feed the youngsters, and little Woodpecker on the suet. I got a photo of the splash of red at the back of his head (that's how I know it was a male) but that came out fuzzy. Think it was Downy, but he was on the other side of suet and seemed so shy I could have sworn he was a Hairy, the Downys don't usually duck like that.
Attachments
Woodpecker1.jpg
Jay2.jpg
Jay1.jpg
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

The other two Woodpecker photos..
Attachments
Woodpecker3.jpg
Woodpecker2.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love the birds here too.....Nice shots!! Are ya having fun with that camera? :lol: :wink:
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

Having a blast! Bought rechargable batteries for it on Thursday, still using the last set so haven't installed them yet. I also bought a camera bag to keep it safe, I have a Siamese cat and he loves to bat at anything that hangs, so thought I'd best buy something that he couldn't get his little mitts on.. :)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

SMART..............

Post by oldcoot »

Good CHoices...........AND wonderful pictures. Don't yuou just love being able to take pictures and SEE them that day ??
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lynda, u feed the birds suet in the summer too? Gee maybe I should go and buy some more?

Debbie

Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

Debbie, I feed them all year long, I know a lot of people don't, but more and more of their environment is being carved up here, you have no idea the amount of construction that's been going on here on the West Island over the past few years, month by month another green space, meadow, field is ruined by condos or new house construction. I'm just trying my best to give them the best chance they can get in this city area. They do fend for themselves too, they feed their babies bugs, there's always a flock of something mining the lawns for grubs and stuff. I find the offer of suet is very appreciated especially if they're nesting, they nest close to the house on the property and the parents don't have to leave the nest for long periods of time finding something to eat. If you hang the suet, they'll come for it.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lynda, I'll pick some up when I go to Walmart. What flavour should I get? cause I know there is lots of different types.

Debbie

Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

Debbie, it really doesn't matter, I find they'll eat it all. I've never put up one that didn't go. The Woodpeckers like peanut butter as much as suet, so the peanut butter one is a real treat. However, it's the fat they're after.
New Topic Post Reply