We've got an owl!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Justaysam

We've got an owl!

Post by Justaysam »

The people next door have a box up in a tree for wood ducks. They said they never have had one, but there is an owl in the box! Every time I try to sneak and get his picture, he sticks his head back in. It is the cutest thing, looks like a little brown kitten poking it's head out.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww!! How cute sounding!! I hope you able to get a picture of him!! :D
Snow

Post by Snow »

Oh cool - is it a Screech Owl?
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: :cool: :cool: Guessing a screech owl also. I doubt any other owl could get in the hole unless the tree rats opened it up.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Bet it's a screech owl too!

My Dad built a flicker house to hang up high in the old walnut tree when I was a youngin'.....a screech owl took possession before the flickers even had a chance!

You'll love the evening calls!......p :wink:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Oh I love those lil screech owls!! We had a few when I was a youngun too. Yeah wait until ya hear it :lol: If ya haven't already. Not the prettiest song :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

8-)
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Yes, the man told me it's a screech owl. I have not seen him today. I'll try to get his pic and post it.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:cool: Cool! I can't wait to see your pics!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

A screech owl? How :cool: is that?? I'm so jealous, here I live way up north and don't get any kewl critters like that!

Hubs said when he was a boy and his parents lived in this house his dad found a snowy owl in the driveway. Can't remember the ret of the story but think it was hurt or cold or something. I can't imagine seeing a owl, I think they are so pretty.

Debbie

Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

The lady next door has not seen him in the box since! I hope I didn't scare him off. There was a falcon out back in the easement, up on a branch in a dead tree, they think the owl sighted him, and left. They are suppose to be equal in the animal world, and they were not sure if this is what frightened him off or not. I am hopeing he is out scouting for a mate and will bring it back and lay eggs in the box. Wishful thinking on my part, we will see.
growlove

owl in duck house

Post by growlove »

Just had to comment about the owl in the wood duck house. Last year I was so disappointed when one took over our house as I love the gentle wood ducks, but found on the forum, most folks preferred the owl. I got several pictures of the little screech owl with my camcorder, but never heard his call. Had heard they have a rather eerie sound. Mary
New Topic Post Reply