What made this mark in the sand??

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

What made this mark in the sand??

Post by Chris_W »

We often seen interesting tracks in the sand, but this one was a surprise. We actually found three markings just like this, very far apart. I got thinking that maybe a ground hog made this mark when sitting upright.

Any thoughts as to what made this?
Attachments
tracksinthesand.jpg
Snow

Post by Snow »

A groundhog track will have four toes in the front, and five in the back. Back feet are about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, front feet are about 2 inches. Does that help?
~*Snow*~
Snow

Post by Snow »

Here is a map of various wildlife tracks:

http://www.cityofmelrose.org/department ... tracks.jpg
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Very interesting track. Especially when compaired with the shoe print next to it. I"ve seen lots of groundhog, coon, possum, etc tracks. That doesn't look like anything I've seen. Any better pics?
p.s. :eek: I'd stay in the house after the sun goes down! :D :wink:
Blackkat

Post by Blackkat »

Anyone ever see the classic sci-fi movie "Forbidden Planet"? Sort of looks like the footprint of the invisible alien monster. Not helpful - am I?
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks guys. That's the only photo I took, but I'll keep an eye out. Like I said there were 3 prints just like this one.

From searching various websites it looks like a large cat could have made this mark since cats don't leave claw impressions.

At first I thought maybe someone was playing tricks on me, but then found the other tracks just like it :eek:
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

That is so fascinating, Chris. I can't help, but I hope you find out what it was that passed through your property. Let us know if you do.
Snow

Post by Snow »

I would like to see more pictures. I was thinking even possibly bear - but it's hard to tell from the picture.
~*Snow*~
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I was thinking a bear also... see if you can get more pics Chris.. also.. measure the thing.. that might help..
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

BEAR???? :eek: For sure, don't go out at night! I especially like the shoe print.
Lovin' the great northwest!
Snow

Post by Snow »

This is what I am seeing ... (looks like a good-sized animal to me)
Attachments
tracksinthesand.jpg
~*Snow*~
janet

Post by janet »

It would be a very rare bear indeed that far south in Michigan! More apt to be a coyote or bobcat IMO.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I'll have to ask the neighbors if there have been any unusual sightings, lights in the sky, etc. :wow:

The wildlife we have seen so far includes:

Rabbits, Groundhog, Mink, domestic cats, Skunk, Raccoon, Opposum, Deer, Wild Turkey, Otter.

We heard coyote one night.

If that is a 4th pad mark to the left side it could be a huge cat of some kind. But I don't think the other tracks had a 4th mark.

Trust me, I'll be keeping an eye out for something and for more markings!
Snow

Post by Snow »

Well I dont see the heel pad that you typically see with a bear track. Hopefully another picture will capture exactly what it looks like :wink: And measure it, Chris, if you can.
~*Snow*~
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

After comparing and searching I don't think it is a bear. The more I look at pictures it looks more like a large cat (if this was indeed a mark made by a single paw and not multiple marks made by something like a rabbit standing on its butt).

I'll get out there later and check some more.

Thanks a lot for the detective help :D
Snow

Post by Snow »

I am a natural born wildlife detective :wink: :cool:
~*Snow*~
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

Chris, was this at the lake, or your new location?

Janet
wondering if she should warn her mother!
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

At the new location. There is a lot of wilderness there, which is part of why we like it so much. I've never seen so many fireflies (lightning bugs) in my life! :cool:
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Chris.....you are only a half hour away from some of us here in Adrian.

Hmmmm.........I think your pic looks pretty much like some big cat also.......exciting!! Don't know if you and Brian ever heard this, but there are tons of rumors about big cats here in this area!!

Several years ago, we read stories about a "Manchester Panther".......I DO know there are Bobcat in this area....(saw 2 when I was a kid).....but, unless you have tiny feet, that's not a bobcat. My brother-in-law that lives in the Ogden area has seen a HUGE black cat there a few times......when telling a neighboring farmer, he was told that many have seen it and they believe it to be a panther!

My husband is a surveyor and often works in your area......he has seen tracks like this also and is convinced they are from some variety of big cat, perhaps a cougar!!

Exciting!! Such a compliment that he feels comfy at your place!......p :wink:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

A 30 lb Bobcat can leave quite a large print. That would make the most sense to me.
If that's a groundhog sitting up, I see the butt print, two foot prints and another print in the middle. :eek: :eek: :oops: :D
New Topic Post Reply