What made this mark in the sand??

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Maybe it's a Yeti? (snark, snort, snicker)
michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

:o If that is an average sized shoe, then the print in question is four to five inches... too big for a bobcat, but just right for a three toed puma! :wink: :D
Attachments
tracksinthesandA.jpg
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

In the original photo is that a kitty print to the left? Wow, that' other is huge in comparison! Have you seen any more Chris?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Looks like a cat print to me. From the size, a big bob cat, or maybe coyote(if you have those there). Only three prints though? Maybe 3 legged, or limping on one? Put out a video camera and see what you get on film. If it is a big cat of some type you need to know what kind so you can take measures for safety!

G
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

Possibly another aide in identification would be to look for 'scat' near where you're seeing the tracks?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I'd scat too, if I saw prints that big. :eek:
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

It certainly could be an exotic pet escapee.
Could be a wounded or three legged small animal.
Dunnoh! but I sure am curious to find out. :o
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I haven't seen any repeats of these tracks. If it is a large animal my guess would be that I didn't see more tracks because it was on the move and had cleared the road before we saw more tracks. The road is only about 6 feet wide but isn't all sand (there is grass towards the edges).

There might have been a 4th pad print on the others, and in this picture I thought maybe there was a 4th pad to the left.

But.... I'm still not convinced myself that it wasn't a smaller animal that somehow made this strange mark.

Then again, there really have been reports of large cats around these parts :o
Last edited by Chris_W on Jul 28, 2004 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

We haven't heard of sitings here either, although we DID see a coyote stalking the perimeter of our yard 2 summers ago while dd' and freinds slept in a tent with the 'dogs' sleeeping outside it!! So there are wild animals, they just keep away from humans as much as is possible I am sure.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

This is so interesting......especially since it's so close to ME!!

We DO have coyote here (didn't used to.....but we occasionally see 'em now).....but it just doesn't look like it was made by that animal.....too big also!

My vote would still be some sort of big cat.......here's a good link with pics........p :wink:

http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: sight P! :wink:
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

http://www.freep.com/news/mich/cougar27_20040727.htm

QUICK!! Read this front page article that was in the Detroit Free Press today about 2 cougars taped close by in Monroe, Mi. !!! :o

It's an interesting article......and "your" tracks may just be proof that we have 'em here!!..........p :wink:
Snow

Post by Snow »

That is fascinating! I bet a state wildlife expert would be interested in seeing this photo now. And he/she would probably know what it was.
~*Snow*~
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I wish that I had taken a picture of the other marks. I am almost convinced now that it was a large cat that was running. I've been looking at the paws of my pet cats and when their toes are spread out on the front left paw the 3 right pads are together and the 4th one on the far left is pointing outward.

Perhaps the DNR would be interested in seeing this picture?
Snow

Post by Snow »

Chris - if they are looking for evidence of the presence of large cats - I think they would definately want to see your picture.
~*Snow*~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Chris, here is a site to report: If you would like to report an observation of an endangered, threatened or special concern species, please submit a completed form along with associated maps. http://web4.msue.msu.edu/mnfi/contact/surveyforms.cfm

This is the main site:
http://web4.msue.msu.edu/mnfi/data/specialanimals.cfm [/url] MidwestNews@fws.gov

And here is another option. This is the place I contacted about the bat, although they slow and have still not responded more than an autoresponse that they will be emailing! HA!
Larry Dean
Regional Web Manager
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
http://midwest.fws.gov
612-713-5312

[/url][/code]
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Tell them it ate a couple of kids. That'll speed things up. :D :D :D :wink:
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Don't count on it! (joanna MSP911) :roll:
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

They've been showing the clip in the a.m. news today.....sure looks like cougars to me!! I would be tempted to call DNR also......but the article mentioned 800 Mi. sightings in the last 20 years has not yet convinced 'em!!

WE are all glad you included us in this adventure!!....p :wink:
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Chris and Brian......any chance you saw yesterday's (Sunday) article in The Daily Telegram?......thought you may be interested......p :wink:

Britton man sees cougar; sighting is second reported this month

By David Panian

Daily Telegram Staff Writer

RAISIN TWP.: Eugene Roehm was on his way to his home in Britton from Adrian at about noon on Monday, cruising along Ridge Highway just north of Sutton Road when he saw the darndest thing: a cougar crossing the road in front of him.

That's right. A cougar. Puma. Mountain lion. Panther. Cantamount. Felis concolor.

"I was approximately 100 yards from it, it was crossing east to west," Roehm said. "It definitely had a long tail. It wasn't a dog or a deer. It was definitely a big cat."

The cougar strolled into a bean field on the west side of the road and sat down.

While the last cougar in Michigan was thought to have been killed in the early 1900s, the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy has found evidence of cougars living in seven northern Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula counties. Two weeks ago the conservancy released video of two cougars in Monroe County.

Deputy Gina Meadows, the Lenawee County Sheriff's Department's animal control officer, said she received a report of a cougar along Oakwood Road three weeks ago, and there were three sightings near Cadmus last year. She said the sightings were either a lone, black cougar or a black cougar and a tawny cougar together.

"None of them are confirmed, but people were interested enough to call me and ask for the forms to send in," she said. Black cougars are a result of in-breeding among a small group of cougars.

The conservancy has forms asking for information on cougar sightings. Meadows can be contacted at the sheriff's department at (517) 263-0524 for a sighting form and brochures about cougars.

Cougars ordinarily are a tawny, brown color, with white and black on their muzzles. Adult cougars can weigh 80-200 pounds and be seven to nine feet long, including their long tail, the conservancy said. Cougar cubs have the same facial markings as adults, but have spotted fur.

Meadows said cougars have evolved so their teeth are positioned to break a deer's neck, and that deer carcasses left by cougars are easily identifiable by the way the cats butcher the deer.

Along with deer, cougars will eat rabbits, beaver, birds, porcupines, coyotes, bobcats and other small animals.

The conservancy says that the chances of a person encountering a cougar are very slim, but that people can reduce the chance of an encounter by hiking or walking in groups and making noise to avoid surprising a cougar. If a cougar is spotted, a person should stand upright and face the cougar and try to appear larger by raising their arms or opening their jacket. Children should be kept close, and running from a cougar might trigger the cat's hunting instinct. People should not approach cougars, but should back away slowly and give the cat a way to escape.

If a cougar approaches, the person should throw objects at it and speak firmly at it to convince it that they are not prey, the conservancy said.

Roehm said he is concerned about farm animals in the area.

"I wouldn't want to see any of the farm animals hurt," he said.

The conservancy advises to install outdoor lights, to not feed pets outdoors, keep pets inside at night or in a kennel with a secure top and to not feed wildlife cougars might follow. Livestock should be in a barn overnight.
New Topic Post Reply