What made this mark in the sand??

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

The one cougar I saw in California, seemed completely unconcerned about humans. It didn't care that I was chasing after it. :oops: (okay, yes, I know, I am stupid.) It seems that the cougars in Michigan would rather have nothing to do with humans. OUt west they are feared as human killers, because occasionally they can and have killed humans. STill waaaaaayyyyyy more people are killed by cars, or bullets, or heart attacks. For these critters being killers, it sure seems they are doing a great job of hiding from most of us humans. I would worry about the kitties being out at night, but I think that if certain precautions are taken, humans will be pretty much safe. I hope Blake won't mind staying inside at night. :o
Cool articles btw.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hey Chris and Brian.... :eek:
Did you two see yesterday's "Daily Telegram"????? (3-1-05)

:o Here's the article! :o

"Tecumseh Twp. couple spots cougar in backyard

By David Frownfelder -- Daily Telegram Staff Writer

TECUMSEH TWP. -- A Tecumseh Township couple had an unexpected visit from a cougar twice Sunday.

"We were getting ready for church at about 8:30 (a.m.) when I looked across the back yard and saw what I thought was our cat walking," said Jeff Hedrick. "I looked closer and saw it was too big for our cat. I thought it was a neighbor's dog, but then noticed it moved like a cat so I got my binoculars out and watched it."

The cougar disappeared into a winter wheat field to the east of the Hedrick property on Russell Road just west of the Tecumseh city limits. Hedrick said he and his wife, Tracy, did not call police at that time because they weren't sure what they would be reporting.

Submitted photo -- A paw print of a cougar seen Sunday in Tecumseh Township.

About 6:30 p.m., the cat came back.

"I was looking out the back and saw it coming from between our barns," Hedrick said. "It walked across the back yard and then headed into the barn."

The cougar ducked into the barn, where the Hedricks have barn cats and cat food. This time, they called the Tecumseh Police Department and the sheriffs' department.

"Our (barn) cat came running out a little bit later. He wasn't scared, but we called him and he ran into the house," Hedrick said with a laugh.

As a deputy arrived about 6:40, the cougar emerged from the barn. In a report released Monday, Deputy Mike Osborne said he and the Hedricks watched the animal disappear into a tree line. Hedrick was able to snap some quick photos of the cougar and also a series of tracks found near the house.

"We believe we've got about half dozen of them in the area," said Lt. Cletus Smith from the Lenawee County Sheriff's Department. "We want people to remember that this is a wild animal. Do not approach it. Call us."

Traps have been set out by the department. Hedrick said a wild cat was found in one of the traps Monday morning. Smith said it is believed that this cougar is only a cub as it did not appear to be full grown."

Have you noticed any more of those prints??.....p :wink:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is amazing news! I hadn't read it - don't ever get the Daily Telegram.

No, we haven't seen any more tracks, but I asked our vet if he had heard reports of Cougars in the area and he said "Oh yeah" like it was no big deal, so I think that the authorities have just kept quiet about it.

I wonder why they would want to trap it? The cougars have been pretty careful about not being noticed and I haven't heard any reports of problems :hmm:

I just wonder what that cat was thinking when it ran out of the barn :o :lol:
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I was surprised to read of the plans to trap him also! My worry is that someone will try to shoot one, then what happens??

Such a beautiful animal they are....I think we have a much more challenging problem with the large number of coyotes around. When I was a kid, we very seldom even saw any deer in this area.....now we are over-run.....I guess the preditors figure this is an invitation!......p :roll:
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

They are probably just looking for an easy meal. Small animals, etc. But to actually go into the barn, where dinner was probably waiting for them. If I were a farmer and had small livestock, then I would be very protective of my own stuff. CHAR
New Topic Post Reply