Downey

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Downey

Post by PeggyC »

This little guys are SO cute! :lol:
Attachments
DowneyWoodpecker.jpg
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

You are now our official forum wildlife photographer Peg :snow: Keep up the good work - great photo!
~*Snow*~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, how do you get them so close.....Did you get a new lenses?

I agree with Snow!! :D

I love them downey's too!! Today, I got to see a hawk.......I was on the phone, and he landed in the back, then flew up in a tree.....Big sucker.....:lol:......
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Great pic Peg. I get lots of them at my cabin. I mixed some homemade crunchy peanut butter and some black oil sunflower seeds put it into an old suet container and froze it, they are going bonkers over it!

Keep the pic's coming!
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

The downy's are always here. It is fun watching them as juveniles, growing up. You can always tell a young one, they act stupid, like they don't know what to do, or how to eat suet, but its all an act, so they can get the parent to feed them. Such a great picture. CHAR
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Great pic's Peg. Excellent idea Denise. I always get a thrill when I see a Downy. I also got to see a Hawk in my front yard a couple of days ago. :cool:
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

I've never seen one. How beautiful. I've heard some woodpeckers out back, so I think I will try your receipe Denise. Have you ever seen any in Wyandotte???
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Lovely photo, Peg. You do amazing work with that camera. I'm in line for that first book of photos you publish.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Peg, I love your pics! I love birds so much I wish we could get some to feed at our feeders in the winter time. I have black sunflowers feeders and the suet feeders but they don't come here; only in the spring and summer.

I know we do have downies here, we use to have them around and I have seen lots across the street in the park, but since they cut down all the trees along our sidewalks the birds have never come back. I'm the only person on our block with trees in the backyard. I have planted every tree on our tiny property trying to attract birds,,,,but they just don't come. :-(

One year I tried to hang a feeder on our blacony so the birds could see if from the park, but there is no protection at the front of the house and they just never came.

Any tips anyone can give me to attract the birds I sure would appreciate, I have tried everything, even a bird bath heater in winter.

Debbie

michael_QvQ

Post by michael_QvQ »

Another great pic Peg, thanks! :D

I like Denise's idea for a seedcicle :wink: .... will give it a try too.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

That is one great woodpecker shot.

Post by oldcoot »

This is out most common one, but I haven't wsxdeen any laterly. I'm going tgo try the peanut butter. (If I can keep my finger outg of the Jar.)

That Funny & Friendly Old Coot, named John, wishing YOU the the Happiest of New Years..........
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

I buy my suet from the grocery store in chunks. And then cram it into the wire basket. I leave it up all year around and the downy's always come to it whatever the season. I is in shade for summer and doesn't seem to melt. The winter suet is always gone very quickly, so I have to watch and keep it replenished frequently. CHAR
Attachments
12-25-04 021a.JPG
oldcoot

I've got a basket like that

Post by oldcoot »

What do I ask for at the grocery store ? I got to do me one of those.............

That Funny & Friendly Old Coot, named John, wishing YOU the the Happiest of New Years..........
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

In the meat department ask for suet. Meijers has them shrink wrapped and nice white suet. Other stores use end pieces and scraps but the birds don't care. ABout $1.19/lb. CHAR
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

I'm thinking the same thing, OC.

I think you can find it in a package with the other meats. If not, just ask the butcher for suet. They'll know what it is.

I'm really really liking this idea, because I'm getting sick of all the weeds that come up under my (seed) feeders. ALMOST to the point of not setting any more out! :eek:
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

:lol: Hi Char! :lol:
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

oldcoot

Will get some monday..........

Post by oldcoot »

Will set some out Monday...............

toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Char, thanks for the heads up about the suet at Meijers!

John, you certainly gave me a chuckle . . . I got a nice image of an older gentleman with his finger in a jar of peanutbutter!!! :lol: Try to leave some for the birds.

tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
oldcoot

Question on peanut butter ?

Post by oldcoot »

Do squirrels relish it liked they do sunflower seed ?

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot named John, wishing you a Happy New Year.
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

The squirrels don't seem to eat my suet. I'd be happy if they cleaned the sunflower seeds off the ground, but they want the easy route, and eat right from my bird feeders. CHAR
New Topic Post Reply