Downey

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

If you can't find suet, you can use Manteca (lard). It comes in a small plastic tub at Meijers. It tends to be a little bit messy because it is soft, but for winter, the birds love it. Thats if you can't find suet.

Most stores have some suet, but you have to ask for it. I've had them cut it right up in the back for me. CHAR
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Let me send you some of MINE

Post by oldcoot »

Mr. Pointy Ears..that dang Rodent, just tore up another one of my feeders. I had it on a hanger on my deck rail and tied on with twine to keep him from knocking the feeder off. Dang Rodent not only knocked the HANGER off on to the deck, but then proceeded to chew out the top to get into the sunflower seeds. Mine love to eat the spilled seeds on the deck. I'll be happy to send you two dozen of mine if you will pay the postage.

That Funny & Friendly Old Coot named John, saying HAPPY NEW YEAR.................
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Suet Feeder is UP.............

Post by oldcoot »

Joy went to the grocery store yesterday and got me a pound and a half of suet. It was only .98 at one of the chain supermarkets.

Putr it out this morning. Will post picture when it quits raining.......

That Funny & Friendly Old Coot already Enjoying the New Year !!
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

The suet feeder worked !!!

Post by oldcoot »

Looked out the window this morning and lo and behold, sitting on top of the suet feeder was a female hairy woodpecker. I had to get the Bird Book out to id her.

Way to go Old Coot.......................
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:beer: Way cool :cool: OC!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh good, you found some suet!!

Enjoy the birds, Coot!!
oldcoot

O.C.'s Suet feeder is GONE!!!

Post by oldcoot »

Hadn't looked out on the deck this morning, when I went out to fill the feeders. I took the peanut butter jar to rub on the suet feeder and it WASN"T here. I don'tr think it was the squirrels, because it got gone over night. I looked all over the deck and on the ground right off the deck, but no feeder. What ever got it must have been big because it was one of those square feeders and had at lest a pound of suet in it. Whatever got it had to climb a tree wsith it or go over the fence. Since the whole yard is fenced in, and the gates are kept closed to keep "Dawg" inside, I don't see how they got it out. Maybe this spring while wandering through some of the flower beds, I'll find it.
Sure a good thing I had put up a new Woodpecker feeder. That's what the "Downy" I showed fed on...........

O.C. will keep looking for it........
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

I have had both possum and racoon eatting from my suet feeder, and the racoon was the one who took mine. Yes, I did find it later in the spring after the snow was gone. It was only about 15 feet away. They had a heck of a time opening it because it was misshapen. CHAR
oldcoot

I'll keep loooking

Post by oldcoot »

I'll keep looking as it WAS a nice feeder.

Thanks................

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot named John aying "Come on Spring"......and do KEEP POSTING, and showing us your PICTURES !
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

Really enjoy the pictures of the birds. We had a downy in the garage today & I sure had a hard time getting him out. He kept flying above the garage doors & wouldn't fly low enough to get under the them to go outside. I finally turned off the lights & closed 1 of the doors & he finally flew out. I didn't know who was going to wear out first, him or me. :) :)
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
oldcoot

The P-nut butter worked better than the suet

Post by oldcoot »

The Woody's were just getting started on O.C.'s suet feeder when it disappeared. So he started putting out crunchy p-nut butter on his deck rail and putting either, nuts, raisin, sunflower seed or regular bird seed on it. Works well.

In looking up Downy's on Lucy's great B ird Watch link, O.C. found some freally GREAT pictures of all the Woody's
from which he learned a key fact on I.D.ing Downeys
Downy's and Hairy WSoodpeckerfsreally look a lot a liked. ASnd, O.C. has both. So he was pleased to learn the the Downy's beak is MUC H shorter than the Hairy and b oth of them are really small compared to the Red Heads.

Thanks for the prfetty pictures...

That FUNNY & very FRIENDLY Old Coot, named John, stating flatly, that Spring IS COMING in just 13 more days
New Topic Post Reply