Isn't he pretty??? What is he?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

pretends_to_garden

Isn't he pretty??? What is he?

Post by pretends_to_garden »

Hope this turns out...a photographer I am not. Took this outside my kitchen window. I know (think?) that he is some kind of woodpecker. He is really skittish when he sees me looking at him, doesn't stick around very long at a time.
Theresa
Attachments
DSCF0056 (5).jpg
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Red bellied woodpecker.
pretends_to_garden

Thanks OED! Are hairy woodpeckers and downey woodpeckers the same? Cuz I have seen one or both of them too. Along with cardinals, doves, black capped chickadees, blue jays, house finches. I want some yellow finches tho. My Dad has some at his house, and the kids were just fascinated, so we got a thistle bag feeder, but have not seen any yet :(
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The Hairy and Downy are different. The Hairy is larger, with a bigger beak and more black on it's back. The Downy's wings have a stripped look because of the pattern of white spots. The males of both are the only ones with the red patch on the back of it's head. Even though the Hairy's beak is longer, the males of both have a longer beak than the females. You may have the Goldfinches (yellow) right now. The males loose the bright color in the winter.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Look at the Goldfinch post by Char.
pretends_to_garden

I did see Char's post...(I lurk ALOT) My Dad told me that they change color in the winter, just haven't seen a lot of activity at the thistle bag; a few birds here and there, not very many, not quite sure what kind; could be them... maybe they just don't know it is here yet??
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

If you have them in your area they should come. Because they are almost exclusively seed eaters, they will remain in the spring when most others separate. The cardinals will pair off and more than likely one male will declare the feeder as part of his territory. The finches aren't as territorial.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

:cool: pic!

We had two of them in the yard yesterday. :D One of them came right up on the deck. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic. :(
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Pretends (I like that name, kinda fits me too).

Nice picture of him. Yep, the male red bellied has red on his head all the way down to the beak. His lady friend will not have so much red.

You got the perfect angle to see how he got his name. It is not always so obvious. :cool:

Take a quick look at this site
http://birds.cornell.edu/BOW/REWO/
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love those birds, and we have them here, too....Your lucky you got a picture........They are skiddish, aren't they?

Thanks!! :D
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks for the link, Pandora. :cool: I always wondered if I had identified them correctly because I never saw the red on their bellies. :D I also didn't know how the color differed on the female.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

Beautiful birds. CHAR
Attachments
birds 004.jpg
HostaManfred

Post by HostaManfred »

The above woodpecker revisited.
Attachments
DSCF0056 (5).jpg
New Topic Post Reply