Baby Tree Frog in my house!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Baby Tree Frog in my house!

Post by hostanquilts »

I was locking the front door & happened to glance over at my plants & low & behold, there was a baby tree frog. Now I had just watered that plant Thursday so have no idea where he came from unless he was hatched or wherever baby tree frogs come from. I brought that plant that he is in, in from off my front porch back in Oct. before it had started freezing here. What do I do with him or feed him? Don't really have any bugs in the house - I can find anyway. :)
It's supposed to be up in the 50's today & the 30's tonight, but I'm relunctant to put him outside = he might freeze. Would he know to dig down in the ground if he can - it might still be froze too.
Here are a couple pictures. The one makes him look larger & brown, but he is small & green.
Jan in Central Illinois
Attachments
BabyTreeFrog2.JPG
BabyTreeFrog2.JPG (21.49 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
BabyTreeFrog1.JPG
BabyTreeFrog1.JPG (16.68 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Annie

Post by Annie »

LOL :lol:
Isn't he cute!!!

I wouldn't put him out cause I don't think he will be able to get somewhere safe before he dies. Call a Petshop and see if you can set up a tank for him. I'm sure you can. They should be able to tell you what to feed him and such. Ya can even buy bugs for them. Good luck with your new family member!!!
Google frogs and maybe you can find out what kind he is, that should help.
I just think lil frogs are too cute :D

good luck!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I'll never forget the night I was letting the twins out for their nightly run and as I reached for the handle I looked up to see one at eye level just inches from head! He was stuck the glass, just 'hangin' around! Scared me till I realized what he was! They are soooooo cute! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

I agree they are so cute!! Last summer in the evenings, an adult one would climb up the outside of the kitchen window just a little ways from the PC & I presume catch bugs. The 1st time I saw him, it startled me, but the I got so I watched for it at night.
I'm thinking about catching him & putting him in the basement where I have a plant stand with lights were I start my seedlings & also have other plants there. I saw some of the little flying nats or whatever they are the other day & see if he can catch them. :)
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I'm not sure what they eat either, but I assume that gnats and what not flying around the porch light was what that one was after also. Let us know how he does! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Well, I went in to move him downstairs & he wasn't there, so I'm not real sure where he is. I can only hope that he finds food for himself. I'll keep an eye out for him though & will let you know how he is doing.
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

We have them too, the common tree frog, and I think they will eat knats, flies, worms, slugs.... Just about any kind of insect i think.

They really are cute, and they will change color depending on the surface temperature. If he is on a green leaf in the sun he will turn green, so might be hard to see :)

PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:lol: How cute Jan! :lol: I hope you are able to find him again. As incredible as this sounds, I've never seen one! :o
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

Does he make noise? I brought a "peeper" in one autumn (unknowingly) - and after a few days, his unbelievably loud (and bloodcurdling) call led me to him, so that I could help him outside while it was still warm enough. I once found a treefrog "stuck" to my bathtub enclosure - but it was warm enough to take him back outside. I think the basement idea with the plants, is perfect.
~*Snow*~
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

What a cute little guy! :D I hope you find him. They do sell crickets and such at the pet stores for feeding pet tarantulas.
Maybe even meal worms from the bait store would make a meal for a treefrog? I hope you find him again.

I once saw one sitting in the drain pocket of a swimming pool. He was bleached snow white from the chlorine. :lol:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. has never seen one up close before....

Post by oldcoot »

I don't think I have ever seen one in real life. We do have millions of them ,it sounds like, in the late spring and summer. Late in the afternoon about dark. AND a LONG TIME thereafter. I guess that it is because of all the woods we have around us. I do have a lot of the regular brown frogs in and around my flower beds that stay damp. Will keep my eye to see if the Old Coot came made a picture of one for you .....

That Funy and Friendly Old Coot saying, SPRING in 33 more days" (Is that right ?)
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I don't think I have seen one in person either.....It sure is cute....Did you find it??

Coot, I don't know if 33 days is right or not...:lol: Close enough...:lol:
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

I found him, he must have been in the leaves, because today, he was back in the same pot. I brought in a couple boards to raise up my sewing machine for quilting a large quilt & there were a few little white worms on the side of it & I dropped one of them in front of him & it wasn't long until he ate it. I then got the other 2 & dropped them in to. I'll to check & see if he's ate them yet. As small as he is, I don't think he was there when I broght them in, unless he had burrowed down in the dirt for winter & just came out recently. He is less then 1/2 the size of the others I've seen outside. I hope I can get a better picture of him, because he is really a light colored green, but they do turn colors depending on the item they are on. Thanks for all your comments.
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

We had to go to town today to the seed store where we get corn on the cob for the squirrels & wide bird feed for the birds. I showed the little white worms in the garage to my DH & he said 'perhaps waxies would work'. Waxies are white worms about the size of grub worms but perhaps a little smaller that we use for fishing. Anway, we stopped at the bait show & got a container of them & brought them home. I dropped 1 in the pot he is in & watched him devour that worm. Whoppeee!! I have feed for him now. It took him a minute or two to get the whole thing in his tummy, but he did it!!
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

He IS a tiny little fella! Judging from the leaves on your plant (looks like a Hoya)....he's much smaller than normal.

I'm wondering if he's small because of lack of food. (dehydrated?)

Bless your heart for making that little guy welcome in your home!!! ......p :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh good, you found him!!! Awww how sweet that he is staying in that pot....I hope he does. .

Waiting to see another pic, if you get one.... :D
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Jan, I'm so glad u found food for him/her. I was going to suggest to go to a pet store they might sell bugs for lizards, mealy worms? Don't forget to put a little dish of water out for him too,,,as they drink thru their skin.

I was going to suggest crickets, that is what we fed our frogs one year when I bought them for the pond, but they were bigger than your little fella.

Debbie :-)

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Ops and I forgot to say,,,that frogs and toads are very suspectable sp. to poisoning from fertilizer and bug spray, herbicides etc as they absorb them thru their skin, so u won't be able to fertilize that plant he is living in. *S*

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. didn't know that they drank water that way !!

Post by oldcoot »

I guess that that is why O.C. sees them in hisa damp beds. AND under the water faucet that drips in the summer. We have a well that has a plastic rock shaped cover over it and lots of times when O.C. take the top off there will be lots of little froggies under the cover.(Has a real CONCRETE cover over the well, the cover is just so O.C. could have an easy source of water. The put an outside spigot on it for him when they put it in..COOL.) Cute little buggers O.C. hates to distrub them....

That Funny and VERY Friendly Old Coot , named John, saying, "SPRING" is coming and in just 27 more days" and counting !!!
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Marietta

Post by Marietta »

Thanks for the pix of your tree frog. I hear them here
but don't see them as our trees are so big. I am glad
you found the right thing to feed him. Perhaps put his
food on a tiny tile so he can find it easily and you can
tell when he has eaten. I believe you need to use the
lid of a plastic container for the water so that he can
get in it if he wants to. Good Luck, and let us know
how you and he are doing. Marietta
New Topic Post Reply