Unknown Birds - Can You Identify?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Kana_Z6

Unknown Birds - Can You Identify?

Post by Kana_Z6 »

My guess would be a Crow or a Martin.
Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

Same bird as 1st pic.
Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

Similar to a Dove, but the colors are much different.
Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

The following 3 pics are the same bird, this is the back.
Last edited by Kana_Z6 on Feb 26, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

The front.
Last edited by Kana_Z6 on Feb 26, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

And the side view.

I know the bird on the right is a Red-Bellied WoodPecker.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I believe that the black bird is a grackle, the third pic is a Mourning Dove, and your last three pics are of a female cardinal! Nice pic of the red bellied woodpecker! They are so shy, it can be difficult to catch them.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

I think the top bird is a crow. Great pictures!!!!
~*Snow*~
Kas

Post by Kas »

On the first bird, it depends on the eye color. Sort of looks like a blue eye in the top pic, but could just be a reflection. Don't grackles have blue eyes? Looks too big for a Purple Martin. Been 19 years since I lived in the South, so a little rusty on some of these.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hi KAS....love seeing all your pics!

The first bird looks like a common grackle. We get 'em here too! What is his size?
http://www.mccbirds.com/FeederBirds/common_grackle.htm
(Once in a while I get a "boat-tailed grackle"....his tail looks like a rudder!)

The second bird is a morning dove....I was surprised how different species look in other areas!
http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showR ... iesID=2459

And of course....that last beautiful bird IS a female cardinal.....an early morning and late afternoon visitor to my feeders here! .....p
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Kana, Is that a reflection in the first pic or did the first bird have that distinctive yellow/green eye?
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Are you all sure that is a female cardinal and not a juvenile male? The females I've seen don't have even that much red and looking in my bird book it seems the juvenile males have that brownish coloring the first winter.

Just a thought....

Alexa
Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

LOL...to me the eye is just blurry, can't say it is any particular color.

I think the Cardinal is an adult, looks to big to be a baby.

Thank you all for the help & comments.
Snow

Post by Snow »

I dont think the juvenile male cardinals have a red beak, do they? I'm trying to remember - but you could be right about too much color. I am still pretty certain that's a crow in the top picture. The shape of the head and beak, and the lack of "rainbow" in the feathering, plus the lack of a grackle tail - etc. And it's black black.
~*Snow*~
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Kas, what area do you live in? The bird pictured with the woodpecker looks a lot like a bohemian waxwing. Of course, I don't have cardinals to know what they look like!
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Geez :roll: call me a space cadet!

Sorry about that, Kana in Kentucky. Must have been too much fun with Doublemom and the girillas this weekend!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Snow, I think you may be right about that first bird being a crow! ( That top pic looks like he has a big yellow eye (grackle)....but perhaps that's a reflection.)
http://encarta.msn.com/media_461516485_ ... _Crow.html

Again, if we had an idea of the SIZE it would help! Crows are huge next to our regular favorites, and their constant noise should make them easy to ID! (I chase 'em away from my yard....they chow down on bird eggs and babes! I look pretty cute on springtime mornings out there in my nightgown with my slingshot!! :lol: )

I've been watching my female cardinals at the feeder this morning.....my gals sure don't have as much color as the one here....and they're beaks are more yellow/gold.

There's another crested bird that lives on the western states that is very similiar to cardinals....I think it starts with pry....pyr....something like that.

It's funny how much interest this has generated....lots of bird-watchers here!......p :wink:
Snow

Post by Snow »

I know the bird you mean - but I think this is a female cardinal - but if you notice - all of her pictures have exceptional contrast and color - so it's not like we usually see our soft, subtle female cardinal. Besides - this time of year I dont think there would be immature of that color? They would be all red by now I think?
~*Snow*~
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Well, if its any help, here's a picture of a female cardinal that I took.

"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply