O.C.'s SPring & Summer Birds

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C.'s SPring & Summer Birds

Post by oldcoot »

Since it IS Spring and after that Summer, O.C. thought he would just start a new theme. Didn't seem right posting to a wingter post. Yesterday was a COLD raw day with 25 to 35 mi/hr winds. What few Birds WERE out showed how cold they were....

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he SURE is glad Spring is finally here....For him, and hopes it will be for you soon.
Attachments
Cold Chick - 2.jpg
A Really COLD Sparrow.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Today was a better day

Post by oldcoot »

After starting off at 47* this morningb, with a little breeze
at 5:00PM it hit 83* this afternoon. Calling ffr the same kind of day tomorrow andthen b ack to three days of rain...

The Birds and the Squirrels really enjoyed it too. Both were really active

Enjoy
Attachments
Male Cow Bird TU-1.jpg
Juvie Card - 2 -Tu.jpg
Downy - 1.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Very nice pics! They sure do look a bit nippy. *S* I love the cardinal pic, we don't get cardinals up here and I just love them.

Debbie :-)

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Nice Coot!! :cool:
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Thanks for sharing, OC! What gorgeous birds! Nice job with the photography, as usual!
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Lovely pics as always OC!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
oldcoot

O.C. Thanks you

Post by oldcoot »

and to prove it here are a few more taken yesterday...

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he SURE is glad Spring is finally here....For him, and hopes it will be for you soon.
Attachments
Pretty-Cardinal-Tu.jpg
Female Cow Bird - TU-1.jpg
Downy - 2.jpg
oldcoot

Today's Birds........

Post by oldcoot »

Took these yesterday. Raining today so will not get to make any today.

Enjoy :bd: :bd: :bd: :bd:

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he SURE is glad Spring is finally here....
Attachments
House Finc h - 3 (2).jpg
House Finch -2.jpg
Afternoon Male House Finch (2).jpg
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Wonderful photos, John! Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us. You certainly feed them well. They all look very healthy. :D
oldcoot

Thank you !!

Post by oldcoot »

Several years ago O.C. was very sick, so his wife put out some feeders so he could see the birds out his bedroom window. She started feeding them every morning early and we sure had the Birds. This past Christmas, she gave O.C. a new Digi Cam with a zoom lense, and now he can take Bird Pictures, and HE GETS to feed them.....

Thanks

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he is so glad Spring is finally here....
oldcoot

A guest Bird Photographer

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. met a Mrs. OliviA T. Alex on another websie ((her own actually) asked for and received her permission to show you these pictures with her permission.She really is a great photographer.

Enjoy Mrfs. Alex Photographs.

That Funny and VERY Friendly Old Coot, named John, REALLY enjoying Spring with all of God's pretty Flowers........and TODAY glowing with pride at the new ones blooming in HIS yard.
Attachments
Sellar-Jay 2 .jpg
Sellar-Jay 2 .jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Goose .jpg
Goose .jpg (9.53 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Great shots!
My birds are not comming to my feeders as much as they were when it was snowy.
I love your pictures.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
oldcoot

O.C> sure is glad to here THAT (not for you)

Post by oldcoot »

but for him. His have almost stopped coming in too. Still plenty of good food, but only a FEW Cardinals, Junco's and an occasional Titmouse. O.C. sure DOES HEAR a bunch of Birds calling and answering each other in his woods. Maybe they are nesting....Squirrels have dissappeared too. Corn on the hanger a week now. Maybe they are nesting too.

That Funny and VERY Friendly Old Coot, named John, REALLY enjoying Spring with all of God's pretty Flowers........and TODAY glowing with pride at the new ones blooming in HIS yard.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

We are supposed to get a snow storm. They aren't sure if there will actually be any snow, or if we will get six inches, or if we will get even more! :eek: Keep thinking spring, please.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
oldcoot

It seems forever since O.C. posted

Post by oldcoot »

A bird picture. He made a lot of them today, but found out he has to move the feeders back closer. He moved them this spring to give his Liliums more room...........Now thatr they are for all practicle purposes finished, he's setting up to do Bifrdie and Squirrel pictures again..

Havew gotten quite a few of our winter birds back, the Old Familiar Titmouse,the Chicadees, and today a FLOCKof House finches. Seemed to be several pair as they came in males and female.. Thought at first it was the same pair, but then all four came at the same time. By yhen the feeder (Safflower) was almost in the shade. Will move it tomorrow when so O.C..can make some better pictures.....O.C. had FORGOTTEN how small they were...

That Old COot named John
Attachments
Female Finch-Deck-05.jpg
Males House Finch-1.jpg
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

very nice OC. :-)

I saw one of my goldfinches at the feeder yesterday, finally but didn't have my camera. I have known they are nesting around us and in the box behind our garage,,,but the cat is making them nervous always watching them from inside the house. So I moved the feeder away from the house a bit and they came to feed while I was sitting on the patio.

I use to be able to get pics of them all the time, but can't seem to do it now. I can still hear them singing so that is nice. :-)

Debbie

oldcoot

Remem er that Carolina Wrenn eating the Raisin

Post by oldcoot »

This spring ?? He must hav e nesed somewhere around here close. Every morning about the time I get up (NOT EARLY) he is sitting on the corner of my dedck rain singing his heartg ougt. You can see his tghroat just pounding. He is too farf away to take a picture of, but surfe close enough to hearf through a closed door.....

Glad you like my pictures.....Question on thistle ? Does it go bad. I have some that has been out for some time. I did change it once this summer, but they never came back..

That Old COot named John
oldcoot

O.C. moved the feeders,

Post by oldcoot »

and is doing a little better, but got to get closer still ....

Today's best...

A male House finch showing red feathers under his tail. Had never seen them before and although this isn't a particulary good picture, desided to post anyway, because of the red feathers..

Now the second on is a two fer...Was shooting the Carolina Wren and didnd't even SEE the squirrel, until I edited it. How's THAT for concentration ?

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardener for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year
Attachments
CW-2-R-OC.jpg
M-F-Red tail-OC.jpg
oldcoot

An ALMOST bird picture

Post by oldcoot »

A note on the ratty looking finch above with the red stripe, O.C. was informed on another forum that he was probably a young finch molting. Sounds good to him ..................

O.C watched this female HB for an hour. She came back to the feeder by the clock, every 12 minutes.. Must have a nest close by in the woods. The thing that attracted me to her was that when she stretched out , she seemed to be pregnant and carryig an egg. You be the judged. (Ive just learned how to up my iso, and go shutter mode TODAY..)
Maybe I'll do better next time. This was shot sevral days ago.

That Old COot named john
Attachments
HB-ALMOST-OC.jpg
oldcoot

Doves on O.C.'s deck rail

Post by oldcoot »

Since I started spreading safflower and black sun-flower seed on the rails, not only the Squirrels but also the Doves are starting to come in numbers. Unfortunaely they usually come early in the morning and late in the afternoon after the deck starts gettting shady. SMART........

Almost started to name the first one, Chubby Cheeks.

John
Attachments
Deck Dove 1-OC.jpg
Deck Dove-2-OC.jpg
New Topic Post Reply